My Roofing Project - NOVICE ALERT

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After thinking that I would fix a few tiles that looked liked they had slipped, I discovered that there was a lot of rotten slate and batten, and so, gulp, I plan to take the whole of one side of the roof slates off and relay with new ones.

So here is the set up - the slates are 300 x 600, the battens already on there are 0.5" x 2.25".

1. I understand that the thickness should be 1", so the existing battens are too small - is that right? The image should that there is a thin piece of wood running up the rafter after the felt has been put on, it appears to keep the battens up off the felt - Is that so the roof can breathe? If so, and in order to use the min acceptable batten size, can I forget about this piece of wood and use a breatheable membrane staright on the rafter and put the joist straight on top?

2. This image shows the slate as I start to approach the next terrace property - I have never done any slating before, but having removed the slates I can see the method, BUT how do I tie into the next property - I cannot nail some slates in as I only see half a slate - do I make two holes in the slate to the left of centre for these slates (further, I have seen some roofers on Youtube use slate hooks - is that instead of nails, and if so, what is the best way to do it?

3. Final image shows the last slate as it appraoches the eaves. I ave read about ventilation, but this slate appears to just tie straight on to a piece of timber on top of the wall - doesn't look like it ventilates?

Sponsored Links
You would be better getting batons as close as you can to the originals, you can get over fascia vents.

OK - thanks - so also get the thin pieces of wood and run those up the rafters too after I have removed the rotton ones? Are those there for ventilation?

Sponsored Links
Hooks are faster but if you are a novice then you may not save that much time.

OK - thanks - so also get the thin pieces of wood and run those up the rafters too after I have removed the rotton ones? Are those there for ventilation?

You don't need them with breathable membrane.

Thank you. I have now stripped the slates to the neighbouring property, and you mentioned using a bonding gutter, and I have a couple of questions.

I've been looking at the GRP bonding gutter.

http://www.summitroofingsolutions.co.uk/slate-roof-case-study-redruth-1/

The gutter is nailed into the battens, but it's made of plastic, so what happens to the battens close to the gutter - you can't nail them into the plastic can you? Do you drill alternative holes close to the gutter so you can
nail them into the battens? As the plastic gutter sits proud of the battens, there will be a slight rise in the slates - is that right?

Avoid nailing past the weather bars on the gutter. Double hole your slate on either the left or right hand side and fix it like that. If done properly the slates shouldn't dive up at all. Fairly simple.

And just fix the gutter to the laths with 30mm alloy nails. They are perfectly sharp enough to go straight in easy.

Thanks Shane. If you could advise me on the following, that WOULD be most appreciated.

1. I see your slates rise a bit towards the gutter - that's because the gutter sits proud of the battens?

2. No mortar needed between gutter and slates?

3. What make of bonding gutter did you use, and links?

4. My only local roofing supply company doesn't supply them, anyone know any natioonal brands, e.g. Travis P, Jewson, etc. that do them?

Thanks

Thanks Shane

Just received the bonding gutter - it's about 325mm wide, yielding abnout 150 either side. My slates are 600 x 300, and my half slates will be 150. I see you used half slates rather than slate and half in the run up to the gutter - how did you fix the half slates, as they wouold be resting on the gutter and not the batten?

You won't be able to fix a 150mm half with a 325mm wide bonding gutter as you quite rightly said.
The one i use is not as wide as that leaving enough batten to double nail on either the left or right side.

Best advice i can give you is to buy some blanks and use slate and half fitting.
Fitting a 150mm half also requires knowing how to fit a "secret" rivet, ie find and make the rivet hole yourself.
With the 450mm half you can just put a standard 300mm slate on top, either the left or right side of the slate depending on which side you are fitting, and make the rivet hole in the standard place with a hole punch.
Does that make sense?

Cut them with slate snips or a very sharp knife.

Shane.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back