Myson Apollo Boiler and pipes banging

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having read the details from a previous post going back to 2005 I thought I ought to finally do something about the above issue.

My family and I have lived with this problem for over a year! (I know, I know.....) We've all got used to the sound and sleep through it but we've just got a dog he goes mental when the boiler sparks up in the morning waking us an hour before we need to get up.

I could change it to come on later and use the dog as a very effective alarm clock but would rather get it sorted once and for all.

We had the boiler serviced back in the spring of this year and the CORGI engineer suggested it was the wrong pump fitted and it was leaking etc... and didn't want to get involved, so it was refreshing to see so many useful comments here. There is a bit of crud built up at the top of the pump which looks very old and it doesn't drip. The system has been installed for 10 - 12 years at least with us having 2 years trouble free after moving in and as I dread to add to the woe its been installed with microbore.

Seems the whole issue from the previous posts may be down to the Pump Overrun Thermostat. The boiler fires up, superheats some water which I can only imagine sends steam through the pipes, the pump stops and starts and after sounding like beirut for a few minutes then settles down and the house warms up.

The system was flushed and Fernox was added some 18 months ago when we had a shower fitted.

I have bled the rads and was considering draining the whole system, but really want to avoid this as the bloke who installed it in the first place doesn't appear to have fitted a drain valve.

Final problem, when we moved into the house I had no documentation for the system so whilst I can tell its a Myson Apollo I don't know if its a 15/30, 30/50..... and don't know if the part quoted in previous posts will work. Equally I don't have the details on on where to buy it and whether or not it is something I could fit!"

Sponsored Links
Yes pump over run stat if it is doing it on initial light up for about 30 secs. part number is 402S088

Final problem, when we moved into the house I had no documentation for the system so whilst I can tell its a Myson Apollo I don't know if its a 15/30, 30/50..... and don't know if the part quoted in previous posts will work. Equally I don't have the details on on where to buy it and whether or not it is something I could fit!"

Model details are on the back of the white outer casing.

You can see a copy of the installation and service manual on the Baxi PartsArena web site at http://85.189.44.185/Baxi/

Select Myson/Boiler/Apollo (Fanfare?) then the correct GC number as on the inside of the cover. This then gives you a choice of installation Instruction or Parts List. You will be asked if you want to install some ActiveX components. They are safe.

It's a bit fiddly replacing the overheat thermostat, but I managed it without any problems. I got mine on Ebay for about £4.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks to the people who responded so quickly, really good to know there are people out their willing to help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back