myson midas

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my myson midas boiler just makes loud banging noise and shuts down when switched to hot water and i need to press the reset button to restart it, works perfect on heating, any ideas?

Sponsored Links
That the one with a pump for HW and a pump for CH? HW pump would be obvious suspect.

simple test for the pumps on a midas.
1 switch off electricity supply to the boiler at the spur.
2 unscrew pump shafts and pull forward to locate into impellor
3 switch spur on while watching pumps.

when a midas si and sfi first get power they spin both pumps together for 1 second. if only one pump spins, one is faulty. not sure if the midas b spins the pumps though.

Sponsored Links
just a suggestion but the couple of these beasts ive worked on seemed very prone to collecting air but it was only apparent when in hot water

could be worth a try venting it

the sfi keeps a small amount of dhw stored. when you switch on the dhw it will automatically fire up to heat this water. it sounds like the sensor isn't telling it to shut down when the water is hot enough which is causing it to boil and overheat.

Have a look at the boiler when it fires for dhw preheat. Does it start to sound like it's boiling after only a few seconds or does it take a minute or so?

I can never remember which has which sensors between the si and the sfi but they are different. I'll tell you about both.
One type will be a wet sensor screwed into the pipe work underneath the secondary heat exchanger. It will have blue plastic where the electrical connections go. This sensor is a thermistor and you'd be testing the resistance across it with the leads pulled off.
The other is a dry sensor fitted to the 3/4" pipe coming out of the right hand side of the secondary heat exchanger. This sensor makes and breaks the circuit so you'd test for continuity.

can see two sensors one on mains water with two blue wires the other is on domestic hot water but it is red with two red wires

The red sensor controls the heat of the dhw whilst it's running. The blue sensor is the preheat sensor. Usually when that type of preheat sensor goes wrong it just keeps the boiler in preheat, the result being that ch never comes on. I've never ever had one of those blue sensors cause an overheat. I've a feeling you're gonna be looking towards the control pcb.

the blue sensor looks pretty corroded, what happens if the red sensor fails and regarding the pcb can this be tested or is it a straight replacement or they expensive

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back