myson three way valve - please help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
how easy is it to change a broken valve it is identical to the existing one (Myson)
i have got the part but no plumber, he keeps letting me down!!
thanks

Sponsored Links
Depends on a few factors. Is there an isolation valve on the htg port out of the valve. Is there an isolation/balance valve on the dhw primary curcuit. is there a by-pass between the pumpvalve? & inlet port on the 3 way valve & can u get to the wiring centre ok .Not that u r meant to touch that now any way.

sounds too complicated!!

I didnt know if it would be a simple case of undoing a couple of things
and replacing with the new one!!

how much should another plumber charge bearing in mind ive got the part

ruthburdett said:
sounds too complicated!!

That again depends on the plumbers ability to rip u off & the size of the job. Only try to use some one by recomendation Or BG fixed price quote. Also depends where u are could be £50- 150. If the 3 port is down stairs the might have to drain the whole system. Thats worst case. Make sure inhibiter is replaced if a large amount of water is lost.

Sponsored Links
its upstairs
ive propped it open to hot water just to get some heat!
seems expensive if its £150 already paid for new pump to be fitted

Did u pay to hav the pump fitted to cure the original problem & it's the 3 way valve. If so who wrongly changed ya pump should help u out in respect of getting it wrong. On the other hand if he didnt know it was the valve & not the pump i wouldnt trust him to washer a tap. Its not brain surgery if u do it 4 a living.

i paid £40 labour and £35 for the pump
he changed it and then said "oh well you could do with a new one anyway"
then decided it was the valve

ruthburdett said:
i paid £40 labour and £35 for the pump
he changed it and then said "oh well you could do with a new one anyway"
then decided it was the valve
how did u get the contact & can u get a better one.

could try yellow pages i suppose? I just dont want to get ripped off! too soon after xmas :D

Yea absolutly.As u already hav the vavle dont think British Gas fixed price quote's an option unless u get a price off them 4 the whole job & take the valve back & get a refund. Not a bad option. BG are doing there best to compete & u would get a great back up.If they give u a good quote the engineer wont bother if it turns out a bigger job.

ruthburdett said:
how does the bg work never heard of it before
BG (British Gas) will now give non service plan customers a quote 4 a repair that is the a fixed price repair 4 the job. u know where u are before its done.

Sorry iv never needed to try it .Just passin on the info been told .just give'm a ring they,l fill u in & if u dont like what they say fire them off.Gota be betta than a yella pages stab in the dark .

The simplest option for you is to change it yourself. If you are fairly competant with your hands you should fnd it easy.

Drain the water out of the system, you dont need isolation points, just run a hose of a draincock and then turn your incoming stopcock off. Turn electrical supply off the system, so the boiler will not try and fire. Open the draincock and chcek the water is coming out of the hose. When the water begins to flow slowly out of the hose, open the vents on your rads upstairs. When the hose has stopped you are safe to remove the old valve. Undo the nuts on the valve body and then remove the valve body from the pipework. Leave the wires connected for now. Take the new valve body and make sure the new wires correspond to the old. When this has been noted change one wire at a time and you cant go wrong. Either replace to nuts and olives from the old valve or reuse them depending on condition. I would advise them to be changed. Close the vents and draincock and refill. Once full, add an inhibitor x100 or Salamander and then bleed the rads. This will draw the chemical into the system. Job done.
We would charge £80-100 to change the valve, if you had the valve, and what you were charged for that pump was extremley cheap, what make was it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back