Mystery fizzing boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Someone PLEASE help me solve this boiler mystery!

1. My boiler was kettling (it's only six months old) so I added some Sentinel scale remover. No result.

2. So, I drained the whole system down, changed the pump (it had been ticking), added sludge remover (Putrimachos Flushex), left for 4 weeks. Kettling disappeared immediately, but towards the end of the 4 weeks, I started to get 'fizzing'.

3. I drained out the sludge remover, flushed through till the water was clear, and refilled with Putrimachos Scalex and Protex.

4. Now I get moderate kettling when starting the boiler from cold, but real 'fizzing' whenever the boiler's heating.

I'm at a loss. It can't surely still be a scale problem? Did I leave the Flushex in too long, and it's damaged the boiler? Help!

Sponsored Links
I bet you have 22mm pipes coming out of the boiler. It's likely the boiler is quite a high output BUT YOU HAVEN'T TOLD US WHAT THE BOILER IS!!! In this case it may be quite likely to make a noise. It gets less noticable when the fan bearings wear out and their noise drowns out the fizzing noise.

It's a Worcester Bosch 24 CBi (80,000 BTU) wall hung boiler with 22mm pipes out the top. It's not a 'normal' noise because it never used to make it - and it doesn't make it when the heat comes off but the pump's still on. It sounds like sand being washed around in the water. Also, the boiler's less than a year old.

Sponsored Links
...oh, and I should have added that's it's an open, vented system with two 2-way valves for the central heating/hot water. The pump speed's at 2 and there's a Tower Airsep component at the base of the vent pipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back