Mystery lighting ciruit

Right that makes a little more sense then. I think your downstairs switch should only be a two gang switch, and not a three as it currently is. Can I just double check there's no other switches for these lights anywhere?

Do you own a multi meter? You're going to need one to work this out properly.

Sponsored Links
I don't own a multimeter no and if I did it's beyond my skill level really.

But I really appreciate you all taking the time to try and solve it. It's been good learning for me too.

It appears as though it's just the downstairs switch which is wired incorrectly.

To determine which wire should go where will need some testing, and if that's beyond your skill level then fair enough, but at least when you contact an electrician you will be able to give him a rough idea of what the problem is.

Hi, I would suggest the landing switch :LOL: not for the runway ! Are wired correctly and you leave well alone. I suspect the hall switch was originally 3gang with 1. outside light(may have a permanent live and the unused switched L behind it ?)Switch 2. hall light 2way to upstairs,switch 3. Landing light 2 way to upstairs.

Who ever changed the hall switch to chrome ????? bug.....d it up.

I would start by identify the pass pair for each of the 2way switches.

Regards,

DS

Sponsored Links
The previous owners were a bit B&Q. I'll see if I can get an electrician in to sort it. Cheers guys, has been an informative experience and good for me to realise when I need to leave alone. Now that is the purpose of the forum right? Friendly constructive advice so us commoners don't kill ourselves:)

There probably was - but it illustrates the inherent risk with BAS's approach, no matter how well-intentioned it may be.
There is absolutely no risk in my approach as long as the person asking questions is prepared to acquire the knowledge which is essential to them IF they wish to do their own electrical work.

Whereas the approach of the "let's support the blind bumblers by guiding their hands to put all the right colours in the right holes without them having the faintest idea as to why" devotees could kill someone.

I know which is better, I know which is actually more helpful, I know which is more responsible, and I know which is more honourable.

I know which of us here is giving the right and proper advice, and I know which of us should go away.

No but it made him think, stop, and assess if he was competent. He has made a wise decision, and it won't cost a fortune to put right. What's wrong with that?

regards,

DS

There probably was - but it illustrates the inherent risk with BAS's approach, no matter how well-intentioned it may be.
There is absolutely no risk in my approach as long as the person asking questions is prepared to acquire the knowledge which is essential to them IF they wish to do their own electrical work.

Whereas the approach of the "let's support the blind bumblers by guiding their hands to put all the right colours in the right holes without them having the faintest idea as to why" devotees could kill someone.

I know which is better, I know which is actually more helpful, I know which is more responsible, and I know which is more honourable.

I know which of us here is giving the right and proper advice, and I know which of us should go away.
Yes John, the general intention from BAS is always good the delivery is a different matter. He's the 'Doc Martin' of diynot :LOL:

Regards,

DS

Yes John, the general intention from BAS is always good the delivery is a different matter. He's the 'Doc Martin' of diynot :LOL:
Exactly. I don't think anyone has ever questioned or doubted his good intentions. What is often questioned/criticised are the ('delivery') methods he employs - which I am sure will very often be counter-productive in terms of what he is trying/hoping/wishing to achieve.

Kind Regards, John

Your approach has the serious risk of making people afraid to ask for advice when they need it.

I agree they should have a basic understanding of electrical circuits before starting on a DIY electrical project. But often they will start and need help to rectify a situation their lack of knowledge has created. Help them to solve the immediate problem and then they may then seek the additional knowledge to understand why they had to do what they did to repair the situation.

If your attitude prevents someone asking for help then, from this forum, they will not get the help and information they need.

I have to say I have a healthy respect for people that know more than me. The reason I posted my request was that I wanted to know if this was something I could do myself or not. I wasn't in any way put off by BAS's advice. In fact it made me quickly realise that this wasn't something I could do myself. BAS said I had two options - do myself with the required knowledge, skills and equipment or get a professional in. I don't have the necessary knowledge skills and equipment and he helped me realise that and come to a safe decision.

What is often questioned/criticised are the ('delivery') methods he employs
And what is never answered is the request for a rational, logical, unemotional analysis of my "delivery methods" which show them to be wrong.

As I have said, and will probably have to say for the rest of my life on this forum, so thick and/or wilfully obtuse are people, any criticisms which are based on inventions or imaginary constructs are invalid.

And given that you, John, once said that it was perfectly OK for people to criticise posts of mine which they hadn't even read, I will never regard anything you ever say on this topic as anything other than complete rubbish.

What is often questioned/criticised are the ('delivery') methods he employs
And what is never answered is the request for a rational, logical, unemotional analysis of my "delivery methods" which show them to be wrong.

As I have said, and will probably have to say for the rest of my life on this forum, so thick and/or wilfully obtuse are people, any criticisms which are based on inventions or imaginary constructs are invalid.

And given that you, John, once said that it was perfectly OK for people to criticise posts of mine which they hadn't even read, I will never regard anything you ever say on this topic as anything other than complete rubbish.

Don't you think that the constant repetition of these points suggest that perhaps there might be a problem with your delivery? Your counter-argument to people pulling you up for the way you word your responses is basically that everyone else is wrong and you are the only one who is correct - statistically, that seems unlikely, wouldn't you think?

The thing is that you go through periods where your responses are the model of informed attempts to understand and help, but these periods don't seem to last very long.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back