2 way light switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have two lights - one in hall and one on landing - that operate via two switches. i want to isolate landing light such that it can be on or off from the landing switch whilst maintaining two way switching for hall light. is their an easy way??

Sponsored Links
It depends on which method of linking the two switches has been used - look in the For Reference topic for diagrams - once you see how 2-way switching works you'll see that it's easy to move wires in the switch to bypass it - i.e. simulate it always being in one position.

Don't go for wholesale removal of cables, and do please document it somehow, because 99.9999999999999999999999999999999% of people prefer it the way it is right now, and if you remove that functionality, I guarantee that someone in the future will say to themselves "Why the **** did he do that?"

I think, although not 100% clear, that BOTH lights operate together from the 2way switching.

I assume you want the landing light to run 2way, and the hall light 1way from downstairs only???

Not exactly sure what you mean, and this will be a difficult one to advise without having a good look over how yours is currently wired. I would be 90% sure a new cable would need to be run from one switch to one light point.

Sponsored Links
I read it as two 2-gang, 2-way switches, and he wants to remove 2-way switching from the landing light (why??????????????????????).

So, for example, and varies according to how it's been done, move the conductor from COM to L1, and that switch no longer does anything, and the other one still works.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back