name of a brick

B

breezer

no its not bob, i have been googling and i have come up with a few incomplete answers.

The bricks that have 3 round holes (no frog) i find they are engineering bricks, but apart from "engineering bricks with 3 round holes" , do they have a "name"?

Sponsored Links
not neccesarily engineering bricks, some facing bricks have them as well, its to do with the manufacturing process as they are mostly machine made. be a bit more specific breezer, colour finish etc, or a picture if youre trying to match a certian one

thanks Thermo.

its just i want to say to some one the bricks with 3 holes, colour facing etc does not matter, since these will be the only bricks.

its to stand a pump on in a pond, and the ones with holes let the fish swim through

Sponsored Links
The holes are still a frog ;)

Different manufacturers will have different names for their bricks, as whilst all engineers may appear the same, they will be from different clays and will be fired differently to get the finish.

^woody^ said:
The holes are still a frog ;)

Different manufacturers will have different names for their bricks, as whilst all engineers may appear the same, they will be from different clays and will be fired differently to get the finish.

No, the holes are not frogs, they are 'pots' Common belief is that a a brick frog is named after a 'frog' in a horses hoof, which is similar in shape.

A frogged brick is made in a mould one at a time, potted bricks are extruded and cut and not all are engineering bricks.

A 'brick' must have a certain amount of it removed to make it a brick as opposed to being a 'block'.

Best bet is to take your proposed brick in to a merchant and get a brick match (if needed).

Traditionally, any indentation in the brick is called a frog. Early bricks had the common indent of the LBC type, and either single or double frogs, and these were made in the traditional hand moulds.

But as the technology became available, holes and perforations became possible along with machine made bricks.

Modern interpretation is frog for indents, holes for three holes, and perforated for numerous smaller holes. Cellular and hollow are less common.

I've never heard of any holes being referred to as 'pots'. They are called holes or perforations in BS 5628 (Code of practice for Use of masonry) and BS 6100 (Glossary of Building and civil engineering terms).

Bricks do not require anything removed to be called a brick. The modular size determines if it is a brick or a block
Also a 'solid' brick can have up to 20% removed as a frog, but this must not go right through the brick

There is still much debate as to where the term frog originated

The generic name for bricks with holes is 'wirecut' bricks - the clay is extruded and bricks are cut to length by wire cutters. Frogged bricks are pressed - which is a different process.

thanks all.

i gave up and just described them in the end

but interesting reading about the as yet unknown reason why its called a frog (not the bricks i wanted)

the theory is that when making some bricks, a brickmaker accidentaly used some clay with a dead frog in it ( clay being dug from large ponds.. ) which when fired left a hole where it burnt away..
he used this brick and found that it made a better bond than regular bricks and started making bricks with voids in them.

I think the most popular theory is that the 'V' shaped depression in the brick is almost identical to the indentation left by a horses hoof. Horses would have been used extensively in early brickyards so there would have been hoof marks everywhere. The frog reference comes about because the central part of the underside of a horses foot is called the frog.

My only reservation with this theory is that the 'V' shaped impression is not made with the frog of the foot - it is made with the hoof. So why didn't early brickmakers call the indentation in a brick the hoof?

you got some funny horses round your way then..
our horses have round feet here, not V shaped ones..

Local names of things change Woody, 'Tea cake' or 'bap' or 'roll'?

Perforation is the proper name as you say, pots round here, holes elsewhere.

My brickwork tutor must have been wrong about a brick having to have an amount removed to make it a brick then Woody, I bow down to your superior knowledge. :rolleyes:

tea cake is a bun that is not sticky, bap is a floury roll (one that is dusted with flour) and a roll is neither the other two

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back