National Grid - wanting to move gas meter!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks, we've had a letter from National Grid to say they are replacing gas mains in the road and as part of this they may want to re-site gas meters, and warn us about digging up gardens/paths etc.

There is an implication in the letter that older meters inside houses need moving due to new regulations, no doubt to one of those nasty boxes on the front of the house. Mine is nicely tucked away towards the back of the house (furthest from the gas main in the street!), and in a well-ventilated understairs cupboard. There is no suitable space for it on the front of the house which won't affect our parking spaces, access etc.

Anyone know what the criteria for meter moves is when they come and do new gas mains?

Sponsored Links
You're lucky! I want them to move mine and they wont until the service starts leaking..... :confused:

I believe they are not allowed to put pipes through the property that cannot be isolated. Siting the meter near the road means the service is then external (or near as dammit), terminating at the isolating valve in the meter box. Then in the event of an escape of gas inside the property the gas supply can be turned off preventing any further gas escapes into the property.

I can see the logic, but then looking at my set up, that they are refusing to change until vital, the mind does boggle.....

British Gas (or their subcontractor) moved my meter, probably about 10 years ago now. The gas supply used to come up through the floor of the kitchen at the back of the house with the meter under the kitchen sink.
They moved the meter to the wall of the attached garage just inside the main up-and-over door. This only required a small patch of drive to be excavated to bring the mains pipe out of the ground. They then ran a 22mm copper pipe from the meter along the inside roof of the garage, clipped to the rafters, out through the back wall, down the outside of the back wall of the garage then horizontally along the outside of the kitchen wall at about 750mm from the ground and in through the kitchen wall to where the meter used to be. Any "outside" pipework was given a quick coat of black paint. I take the point about isolating the supply at the boundary but I am left with a lot of "vulnerable" pipework. My guess at the time was that the supply to the meter was their responsibility and from then on it was mine, so by moving the meter it made me responsible for much more.

True, it passes responsibility, but their argument is all the new pipework can now be isolated at the meter. Their service is now external, should it start leaking then the gas escapes to atmosphere. If my service starts leaking under the floor of the house, then I cannot isolate it. They will need to come and excavate outside in order to shut off the supply, meanwhile house fills with gas.....

I suppose its left to the individual householder to choose the route for the new supply from the new meter point, depending on cost and aggro as to if you have it run through the property or externally.

Sponsored Links
we're having our road done now,the guys came in to look at the pipes and meter yesterday (its in the cellar) and said they would probably put an external box in, i told him that was not happening.
They are quite obliging,and are relaying the complete service,rather than pushing a pipe up the old one,to get the meter at the front of the house,but still in the cellar.
Just have a word with the guys who are doing the work,they will probably help.

I know the posts on this subject are going back a bit, but our gas mains are being replaced right now. My meter is in a kitchen cupboard and I enquired about moving it outside. I was told by the contractors no they are contracted to replace mains not move meters unless dangerous.

As my drive and patio are printed concrete and only been down 3 years it's not good listening to someone dig a whole in it! So to move it now while the drive is excavated seemed like a gesture of goodwill and by way of compensation for the disruption and a scared drive.

Rang National Grid a guy told me the meter would of course be moved outside if the 3/4" metal pipe to it was being replaced and at no cost to me. If this didn't happen to call back. Spoke to contractors, said no again.

Rang National Grid back spoke to someone else said the contractors are probably right and are trying to trace the recorded conversation. Waiting for a call back. The National grid have moved some after complaints I believe, understand it is about £1,000 if they charge.

However moving it would mean a big box on the outside wall because it wouldn't be recessed so maybe I should leave alone, are there any advantages to having it outside apart from meter reading? any thoughts anyone. It's been in the cupboard for 30 years that I know of.
The guys on site are very polite and obliging no complaints about that can't be easy trying to keep people like me happy.
Cannot seem to find out who is in charge here keep getting passed around

Some of these contractor types can be very polite and try to help but remember its their payers who call the tune.

Sometimes an easing payment can help them.

ANYONE with an indoor meter!

If your meter is to be moved outside ENSURE they fit internal pipework which will suit a modern 35 kW boiler in case you have one fitted in the future if there is any slightest possibility of that.

Tony

We had our road done recently,our meter is in the cellar,i told the guys actually doing the work that i wasnt having a box nailed to the front of the house.
They relaid the pipe up the garden,and into the cellar,re ran the pipe to the meter,in copper,instead of the old barrel,and left the meter where it is.BUT,fitted another isolating valve,just inside the cellar.

We've got our gas meter under the stairs with what looks like an old cast iron pipe feeding up into it.

M1 Gas Alliance guys turn up, takes one look, says "Oh, you've been done, no need to dig up your drive" and was off.

:( we were quite looking forward to not having our gas meter next to our consumer unit anymore.

Let them do it, keep in mind they must restore your property to its original state after they have finished reconnecting your gas supply.

Are the national grid legally obliged to connect your house to the main? I.e you sod them about regarding meter location they cap off supply at main saying if you want it reconnecting it will cost x thousand pounds. There seems to be a lot of householders 'rights' here but nothing about the companies efforts to up rate the system to future proof it and presumably make it safer for all?
I can't believe that peoples parking is so restricted that a box that protrudes at most a foot from the house is going to have such a life changing effect.
Some thought about the services entering the property might be a good idea before laying a patio,driveway or even better an extension over the top of them.
Stop moaning be thankful you have source of fuel delivered into your house, you could be humping coal to and fro.

Stop moaning be thankful you have source of fuel delivered into your house, you could be humping coal to and fro.
we would be if Th****er hadn`t stuffed the miners :mrgreen: oh, and privatised gas :LOL: Maybe the gas would be cheaper if the old Regional Gas Bords were still in place - bring back Mr. Therm

we would be if Th****er hadn`t stuffed the miners :mrgreen: oh, and privatised gas :LOL: Maybe the gas would be cheaper if the old Regional Gas Bords were still in place - bring back Mr. Therm

And if you see Sid,tell him.

Are the national grid legally obliged to connect your house to the main? I.e you s** them about regarding meter location they cap off supply at main saying if you want it reconnecting it will cost x thousand pounds.
I stand to be corrected, but I believe gas, electric, water, and drainage are all universal services - they cannot refuse to connect you, and cannot disconnect you, as long as your installation meets regulations and you pay the bills.
There seems to be a lot of householders 'rights' here but nothing about the companies efforts to up rate the system to future proof it and presumably make it safer for all?
I can't believe that peoples parking is so restricted that a box that protrudes at most a foot from the house is going to have such a life changing effect.
Perhaps some of us care about such things as aesthetics ! It's not the space the box takes that's at issue, but the fact that for pretty well most normal people they are fugly.
Some thought about the services entering the property might be a good idea before laying a patio,driveway or even better an extension over the top of them.
But in some of the cases being discussed, the suppliers are changing stuff for what seems like arbitrary reasons.

I'm glad I came across this thread, because I was wondering what the rules are for meter siting, and in particular if it HAS to be outside in a fuglybox.

And as for the idea that it makes sense to put the electric meter, main fuse, and an isolator outside in the rain :rolleyes: Yes I know it's not supposed to be in the rain, but on the side of the house I'm buying, the chipboard back has clearly been subjected to considerable amounts of water during it's life :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back