Need a new condensing boiler

i want to know what is wrong with earning £200 a day being a plumber? this gives you £1k a week. Knock off hols and corgi and you earn £40k approx. Add back on copper profits and profit from supplies and you can easily come up to £48k.

why is it then a plumber will charge £400 a day to swap over a combi ? or a grand as outlined above. i just dont believe any plumber who pleads poverty. the reality is you guys make £60-100k, after costs, a yr depending on what you can actually charge people.

Your argument assumes that the work is there on tap 52 weeks of the year, without competition. Also it costs the sums you've mentioned for a firm to employ an engineer c/w all equipment, vehicle, tax contributions etc.... Out of that the employee may take home less than £450pw. So how is it that the person you describe even in the unlikely event they have business every day of every year manages to put the £48k in his pocket?

Sponsored Links
what a rubbish argument justifying why a plumber should be charging £300 an hour.

he got the boiler fitted in 45 mins according to tennant who was there the whole time. give him an hour and add 1/2h to pick up boiler. add 1/2h for paper work and he is on £150 h minus running expenses.

as for buying a house to rent out - this involves RISK and is not about screwing the poor. were you born in victorian times, maybe landlord took advantage in that era, but today the boot is definitely on the other foot.

yes boiler was at cost price because i know the price of them so this was sorted before hand.

You want just to eat your cake mate.

Guy sorts you out with a trade price for a boiler and hits you with a reasonable price for going to get it and fitting it yet you want to rip into him for have the audacity to make a wee bit on top of fitting it.

Catch on to yersel FFS.

i dont use firms only self employed. the work is there - simple. if it wasnt i wouldn't of had to pay £300 for 2h work. my plumber earns £50k and my electricians brother in law is an "expensive" plumber and earns £100k. i just dont believe any plumber is earning less than £40k. working for home team means you take home £24k a year. i just think a fair price for a plumber/engineer is £200 a day.

tonybhoy";p="850068 said:
what a rubbish argument justifying why a plumber should be charging £300 an hour.

he got the boiler fitted in 45 mins according to tennant who was there the whole time. give him an hour and add 1/2h to pick up boiler. add 1/2h for paper work and he is on £150 h minus running expenses.

as for buying a house to rent out - this involves RISK and is not about screwing the poor. were you born in victorian times, maybe landlord took advantage in that era, but today the boot is definitely on the other foot.

yes boiler was at cost price because i know the price of them so this was sorted before hand.

£300 to fit the boiler would have been the right price if it had taken 4h. but 45 mins to fit ! that is taking the **** and is why the public hate trades like the plumber.

Sponsored Links
I've been at this game 35 years mate and I've never seen or heard of someone fitting a boiler in 45 mins but what if he did?

Price was agreed beforehand so what was the guy to do sit about for eight hours drinking tea so that you would feel better?

Honest to God no wonder the guy charged you what he did which isn't excessive BTW but you must be a real pleasure to do business with.

You don't know how lucky you are to only charged what you were.

Marsaday i hope it is not causing you too much pain to type your answers after the guy you employed twisted your arm up your back forcing you to accept his price if you are stupid enough to not shop around whose fault is that.. Not ours. i suspect you thought you where actually getting a bargain and thought i will get this mug pronto only for it to back fire

i know the price of installs and thought it was ok for half a day as he told me it would be. i wont use him again though.

The public seem to forget that even a self employed plumber, or any trade is a business, you seem to think that everything you are charged goes into the installers pocket, it does not, we have to pay income tax, PL insurance, veihicle insurance, veihicle tax, veihicle maintenance, fuel, tools, Corgi, GWN, ACS every 5 years, we have to cover our own holiday time off, sick time, accountants fees, the list goes on, but we also need to make a profit for the business, that is the point about running a business, so to expect someone to install your boiler for what you think he should earn a day is ridiculous, but only you can decide who to use, you should get three quotes in and then use the one you are happy with, no good complaining after the event, but don't forget cheap usually means a sub standard of material and workmanship.

Lets dispel some myths shall we.

Up until 6 years ago, I worked for a bank. I was stressed, going nowhere and taking loads of **** from cutomers and management - all for £12K p.a.

I chucked it all in, studied plumbing at college and started working for myself. Its not any easy job, but to be honest I'm sometimes amazed at what I can charge and get away with. I'm not Corgi registered, but yes I charge a minimum of £1000 labour to fit a boiler. My friend is an RGI, and charges me 1 hours labour (£75 + VAT) to commssion and test the boilers for me. I can't loose, and I will never have to be Corgi registered. Every other plumber in the area charges high rates, so its like a closed shop. The customer can either DIY or come to us!

I'm always busy, even charging £70 + VAT for labour, plus big profit on parts and fittings, plus cash jobs (lots around here) and the silly money I make on scrap copper. I'm being honest now, if I take less than £80k a year, I've had a bad year.

Lets have some more honesty from other plumbers. Don't forget, there's people working their nuts off to earn in a week what we earn in a morning!

Any other plumbers willing to confess all?

Well yes, just occasionally, honesty pays. Except when I'm making up a quote for a customer!

Or (NOT) banking and (NOT) declaring the large chunks of readies that customers often pay with.

Ho Hum

What area do you live in! Shame this bulletin board doesn't display IP addresses.
[/quote]

My, we are inquisitive!

My area, well it says Kent under my name (that's K- E- N -T), so I suppose I must live in what is laughingly referred to as 'The Garden Of England'. That's all I'm giving away sunny.

Now why do you want my IP address? Are you from her maj's inspector of taxes or something?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back