Need advice on floor preperation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am shortly going to tile my kitchen floor with 60 x 60 quartz tiles and need advice on what i should do about my floor. My dilemma is that i have had an extension built and one half of my kitchen floor is concrete and the new half is 18mm chip board. I need to use a self levelling compound to bring both sides to same level but do i need to use a latex based self levelling compound or latex the chip board first then use a self leveller? Replacing the chip board really is a major pain in the backside but can be done if you recommend changing it for external ply. Also what adhesive should i use considering the two different types of floor. Any help is much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I'd recommend putting chipboard over the concrete to level it out, then using your self leveller.

When you come to tiling, use a flexible adhesive and seal over the grout.

As all houses are different, I'd recommend getting a surveyor to come take a quick look, just to be on the safe side.

Hope this helps!

Thought I posted this one once :confused:
Accept the PITA; I would never advise tiling over chipboard, it’s crap & not really suitable as a floor base let alone a tile base. As it’s a heavy use ground floor area, I would advise 25mm WBP but minimum 22mm, depending on joist size/pitch/span, levelling the concrete bit up to it if necessary; seal the underside & edges of the ply with an SBR sealer before laying. Do you have air bricks in the void under the floor? You might consider laying an additional damp proof membrane directly under the suspended ply floor as belt & braces against damp ingress from the under side.

Use a quality trade Cement powder flexible adhesive/grout not DIY cheapo crap; you will also need a decoupling membrane where the two floors meet or it will crack.

I can't for the life of me see why you would need a surveyor :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back