Need an eletrcians help plz

just like to thank you all for helping me to point this situation in the right direction.
Not sure there was much point, as you don't seem to have gone in the direction you were pointed.

I phone up an eletcial company explain what I have done, with them also telling me to contact building regs ect.
And have you?

They told me over the fone that because ive run more than 60ft of cable im gonna lose some earth does this sound right?, which is causing the RCD to trip!
No - that doesn't sound right.

You probably misunderstood owing to the fact that you don't have a clue what you are doing.

Ive gone out today to buy and earth rod and clamp, and used what he told me over the phone, 6mm earth, Ive now done that, and there hasnt been 1 trip.
They told you to install an earth rod?

Did they tell you how to connect it up, and whether to disconnect anything already in place?

Did they also send you the equipment you need to test it, and arrange for you to be trained up so that you know how to test?

Does that make sence to any1, in the fact that ive run the 2.5mm 60ft or more i'd lose earth?
You tell us.

You're so sure that you know enough about electrical installation work to have taken this job on and to have done it safely, so you must think you know where RCD protection is needed and how RCDs work.

So you can explain why 18m of 2.5mm² (which has an R1+R2 of only 0.36 milliohms) would cause you to "lose earth" and how it would create an imbalance in the phase & neutral currents sufficient to trip an RCD.

and ive took your info on board for the next time
Let's hope there is a next time.

Sponsored Links
just like to thank you all for helping me to point this situation in the right direction.
Not sure there was much point, as you don't seem to have gone in the direction you were pointed.

I phone up an eletcial company explain what I have done, with them also telling me to contact building regs ect.
And have you?

They told me over the fone that because ive run more than 60ft of cable im gonna lose some earth does this sound right?, which is causing the RCD to trip!
No - that doesn't sound right.

You probably misunderstood owing to the fact that you don't have a clue what you are doing.

Ive gone out today to buy and earth rod and clamp, and used what he told me over the phone, 6mm earth, Ive now done that, and there hasnt been 1 trip.
They told you to install an earth rod?

Did they tell you how to connect it up, and whether to disconnect anything already in place?

Did they also send you the equipment you need to test it, and arrange for you to be trained up so that you know how to test?

Does that make sence to any1, in the fact that ive run the 2.5mm 60ft or more i'd lose earth?
You tell us.

You're so sure that you know enough about electrical installation work to have taken this job on and to have done it safely, so you must think you know where RCD protection is needed and how RCDs work.

So you can explain why 18m of 2.5mm² (which has an R1+R2 of only 0.36 milliohms) would cause you to "lose earth" and how it would create an imbalance in the phase & neutral currents sufficient to trip an RCD.

and ive took your info on board for the next time
Let's hope there is a next time.

Im no sparky like yourself but anit dumb in the fact to work with eletric,

18m of 2.5mm????? where did you get 18 from, I said 50 meters, which is more than 60ft,

And no I havent let buildin regs no, do I plan to no, if it has to come off then it has to come off, not a propblem

Do I know how to connect up an earth rod, I Musta as its now workin,

I dont know how long you been in the trade for but I have spoken to an eletrical company and they have told me that because you've run more than 60ft of 2.5 cable its going to lose earth......... now correct me if im wrong, but ive now installed an earth rod and connected it up the the RCD spur where I was told to, and now dont have any propblem with the system at all and all it cost me was a score, 20 pound.

sorry if I come accross abit aggressive (sp) but I do know sum things about eletrics, not has much as you.

thanks any way for your postive critasiem

18m of 2.5mm????? where did you get 18 from, I said 50 meters, which is more than 60ft,

And no I havent let buildin regs no, do I plan to no, if it has to come off then it has to come off, not a propblem

Do I know how to connect up an earth rod, I Musta as its now workin,

I dont know how long you been in the trade for but I have spoken to an eletrical company and they have told me that because you've run more than 60ft of 2.5 cable its going to lose earth......... now correct me if im wrong, but ive now installed an earth rod and connected it up the the RCD spur where I was told to, and now dont have any propblem with the system at all and all it cost me was a score, 20 pound.

sorry if I come accross abit aggressive (sp) but I do know sum things about eletrics, not has much as you.

thanks any way for your postive critasiem

Dear oh dear, talk about bait. Ban all sheds is going to have some fun with you ;)

Sponsored Links
What?

18m of 2.5mm????? where did you get 18 from, I said 50 meters, which is more than 60ft
perhaps ban realised that 60ft is 18 metres and did his calculation based on what your electrician said.

The poor, misguided general public.

Do I know how to connect up an earth rod, I Musta as its now workin
You dont know this.

An earth rod has a higher resistance than a TN earth (what you had before). Thus if you have discarded the TN earth, your instalation may actually be less safe than it was. You will never know if its safe until you have the earth rod tested. If you have both (i dont think you mention disconnecting the house earth), you have potentially a very dangerous installation. If your streets service looses a neutral, all the current from all those houses will rush down your earth rod (on PME). This is a bad thing. Also, you need an RCD in the shed / outbuilding to make a TT installation safe. Not sure if you have one.

£20 for an earth rod? A bit steep.

On this website you have the combined expertise of at least 20 time served electricians. If you wish to ignore this and take the advice of a single electrician of unknown calibre and service time, then thats your funeral.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back