Need help finding specific pin screw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

Hope I'm in the right place.
In my bath there is a tap that's connected using a pin, that pin is missing and I'm not sure what's it called or what to search for online.
It looks like a very small octagon shaped pin, probably around few cm long that can be screwed in using proper hex key. I've attached photos which I hope would help someone resolve that mystery for me

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
It a bit difficult to see, but it looks like an ordinary hexagon allen grub screw (screw without a head).
I don't get the octagonal bit though?
John :)

Thanks, sorry meant hexagon :)

Looking on images on eBay I think you are right that's the one I need but how can I tell the diameter I need it is very hard to measure...

If you haven't got a calliper of some type to measure it, then compare it to the shank of a (metric) ordinary twist drill. The thread will be very slightly smaller than the "right" drill. (ETA ignore this bit, it was me assuming you had a grub screw. I need to engage brain before operating keyboard!)
At a guess it'll be M3 M4 or M5.
Looking in the thread tables it also appears that a drill 1mm smaller will fit into the tapped hole at those sizes. In other words a 2mm drill will fit into a M3 tapped hole, 3mm into M4, although if it's M5 it may be a bit tight with a 4mm drill. I haven't tried this though!

Sponsored Links
It only works with those sizes I've given. (or should do according to the table I have) M6 for example will not take a 5mm drill, but will be a very slack 4mm. Good luck with it. :)
ETA Just tried this in the workshop for interest's sake. It appears that a 6mm nut takes a 5 mm drill shank snugly. The figures in the tables don't take manufacturing tolerances into account of course.

Ok so I got the hex set and I can fit the 3mm in (4 is too big already).
Given the responses above I'm assuming I need M4 but when.I search online some say that 3mm key actually works with M5 not M4...

Any ideas?

Are we talking about the thread size here, or the allen key size that fits into the hexagon?
A 3mm allen key refers to the 'across flats' dimension of the key.....and half sizes are sometimes used!

We are talking about the hex key size that fits into the hole, I havn't bought the grab screws yet as unsure on the size (M4 or M5)...

Thanks

Correction: I just unscrewed the other tap that has the exact same hex screw using 2.5mm hex key. So, I suppose I need the M3 one as these don't come in half sizes right?

As a general rule, and these need not be specific - a 2mm allen key fits a 4mm grub screw, and a 2.5mm allen key fits a 5mm grub screw.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back