Need help locating this part

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

It would appear that I need to replace this part in the attached photo in my ceiling spot light. I've already replaced both the lamp and the MR16 wire between the light and this black box and it didn't help so my next step would be to attempt to replace this white connector which, judging by the picture, seems burnt if I read it correctly.

Just don't know the name of this part :)

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_8954.JPG
    IMG_8954.JPG
    141.8 KB · Views: 346
Sponsored Links
That terminal block looks fine. It's more likely a faulty transformer.

Thanks.

I did have a transformer problem with another light, I replaced it with this one and it solved the problem

60va Electronic Low Voltage Lighting Transformer https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0018RPT5A/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_gMEMzbAVGJYX7

I just noticed a bit of burn marks on the terminal block (now I know it's name) so assumed in needs replacement.

I can order a replacement transformer but how can you tell the terminal block is definitely fine?

In my experience there looks nothing wrong with that terminal block.

Sponsored Links
Terminal blocks do sometimes burn up but as Lectrician says yours looks not to bad.
As a guide if the screws still move and you can still remove the wires and when removed the wire ends look ok and not melted or discoloured, then the fault is likely elsewhere.

There will only be a Transformer if the lamp is 12 volt, so be carefull sometimes inside that black box the connectons are mains voltage 240 volt

Hello

It would appear that I need to replace this part in the attached photo in my ceiling spot light. I've already replaced both the lamp and the MR16 wire between the light and this black box and it didn't help so my next step would be to attempt to replace this white connector which, judging by the picture, seems burnt if I read it correctly.

Just don't know the name of this part :)

Thank you

What on earth do you mean by MR16 wire? MR16 refers to the type of lamp, multifaceted reflector 16/8th of an inch in diameter. MR 16 lamps can have various bases such as GU10, GU5.3, E14 etc.

Thanks.

I did have a transformer problem with another light, I replaced it with this one and it solved the problem

60va Electronic Low Voltage Lighting Transformer https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0018RPT5A/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_gMEMzbAVGJYX7

I just noticed a bit of burn marks on the terminal block (now I know it's name) so assumed in needs replacement.

I can order a replacement transformer but how can you tell the terminal block is definitely fine?

For much better reliability replace it with a proper transformer not another switch mode power supply.

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TLT50slash1.html

What on earth do you mean by MR16 wire? MR16 refers to the type of lamp, multifaceted reflector 16/8th of an inch in diameter. MR 16 lamps can have various bases such as GU10, GU5.3, E14 etc.

GU5.3 Base

@royc75 before you go buying anything. First of all, unscrew the wires from the terminal block and have a look at the ends. Sometimes a numpty installer has screwed down onto the insulation. it makes conatct for a while and then fails.
Worth a look.
If you have a test meter, you can just check that there is voltage at the terminal block and at the input to the transformer.

@royc75 before you go buying anything. First of all, unscrew the wires from the terminal block and have a look at the ends. Sometimes a numpty installer has screwed down onto the insulation. it makes conatct for a while and then fails.
Worth a look.
If you have a test meter, you can just check that there is voltage at the terminal block and at the input to the transformer.

Thank you I have already ordered the transformer but will check voltage on the terminal block as well as suggested :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back