Need Help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not really sure where to post this as I'm really stuck on the issue.
Basically I rollerblade and my frames are attached to my skate using screws with allen key heads?
I don't know the proper word.
They're frame bolts basically but the part where the allen key goes in to, (in this case) remove them is frayed? and when I turn the key it simply keeps spinning and doesn't move the bolt, Can anyone help?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hywelm/4974025469/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hywelm/4974024069/in/photostream

are what the bolts look like!
Thanks

Sponsored Links
You'd grip that with waterpump pliers or cut a slot across with a hacksaw and use a flat blade driver.

Two solutions ? either by using good "mole grips" clamp the outeredge and see if the bolt will unscrew

or

using metal type araldite (others are available) lol put in the hole and push in the largest allen key that will fit , leave to fully set and try to unscrew, new bolts will need to be fitted

hope this helps

Grahame

Look like hex screws.
Mole grip/pliers, patience, once you have the first couple of turns should start to undo easier, might be worth get a little WD40 to help loosen them up a bit.
Or you could try a screw extractor!

Sponsored Links
You'd grip that with waterpump pliers or cut a slot across with a hacksaw and use a flat blade driver.

I attempted the hacksaw method but it seems none of my drivers can fit inside the slot i've created haha.
IMG_0407.jpg

2 smaller screwdrivers one at each end of the cut. Hold the handles together in one hand at the top. Another big screwdriver horizontally next to the bolt head to lever it all around.

These are called 'socket button screws' ;)
Putting two blades in one hacksaw frame give you a wider slot which could help you.
John :)

You could try one of these.... Find somebody with a MIG welder and get them to put a blob of weld on the head. Then get mole grips to undo the screw. Some times these screws have been put in with a thread lock glue and the heat will help to release it. However, because the part around it is plastic you have to take a chance that it will melt a bit. But if you have water handy douse the screw as soon as its welded.
If you get a sharp drill that just fits in the head recess. After you have made a small recess use a smaller drill.Drill down and then try a screw extractor in it. If that doesn't work then drill out to the root diameter of the screw thread. It is possible the first drill would do that anyway. In which case picking out the bits with a sharp scriber may be possible. Then gently send a tap down the hole to clean it up.
The high tech. way of getting it out is spark erosion. Some engineering workshops could help you there.
Just thought of another one. Find a young lad ( or big bloused woman) and get him/her to go in and say 'Hello, mister can you get this screw out for me,please'

If the frames aren't threaded to take the bolt then I'd saw off the bolt head in order to remove the frame. This will leave the threaded section of the bolt exposed (once the frame is removed). Using molegrips, you'll be able to get a good grip on the section of the bolt that's left. Clamp the molegrips on and twist the bolt out.

If the frames are threaded i.e. the bolt screws into the frame as well as the boot, then I'd persevere with Joe's suggestion (the slot you've cut). Try and borrow a large flat head screwdriver from someone. Make sure the screwdriver has a good purchase on the slot. If you slip with it it could cause a very serious injury!

Basically I rollerblade and my frames are attached to my skate using screws with allen key heads?
Thanks

Sorry for going off topic... but Im a roller skater by trade, but in Paris a few years back (with a few mates) we knocked this vid up www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMztVw9P3Jk

Im not either skater shown, just the fella trying to keep up with the camera.

I have done a bit in Hyde Park though...
www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oSmC5z_jLQ

Thanks

Sorry for going off topic... but Im a roller skater by trade, but in Paris a few years back (with a few mates) we knocked this vid up www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMztVw9P3Jk

Im not either skater shown, just the fella trying to keep up with the camera.

I have done a bit in Hyde Park though...
www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oSmC5z_jLQ[/QUOTE]

I'm more aggressive inline skating bro.

IMG_0410.jpg

This is the frame so getting any kind of wrench or something onto the bolt is near impossible.

IMG_0413.jpg

After I attacked it with a Hack saw again and tried to force my screwdriver in!
Lol.

Any tips? I'm going to pop down to my local DIY shop tomorrow and see if they have like a pneumatic rape drill which can just burn it off or something

Some Car Jacks come with a tyre lever with a flattened end that looks like a very large screwdriver. If you've got one or can borrow one it might be worth a try getting it into that slot you've cut.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back