Need Help!

Just took it to my Local Jack Penningtons and they said there was nothing they could do except sell me a Screw Extractor which is apparently expensive.

And No, I didn't do Metalwork at School haha.
Also, I don't have a dremel so I'm rather looking to do this for free with tools I have or my cousin has etc.

Most of the things you've guys suggested has gone way over my head, still stuck on the issue.

Sponsored Links
If you have an electric drill, you could try using Screwfix 20084 extractors at £9.99 but you will need a suitable HSS jobber drill bit (around 50p).
These things are truly dreadful but occasionally they work.
If it was my problem I'd cut a 1mm slot with a 115mm angle grinder slitting disc and use a large screwdriver.
John :)

If you have an electric drill, you could try using Screwfix 20084 extractors at £9.99 but you will need a suitable HSS jobber drill bit (around 50p).
These things are truly dreadful but occasionally they work.
If it was my problem I'd cut a 1mm slot with a 115mm angle grinder slitting disc and use a large screwdriver.
John :)

Thanks for the tip john, I have no idea what you're on about but I'm sure they will at the shop.
Unfortunately as you can see from 1 of the screws it is completely mashed to bits, any tips on how I could get that one out?

Sponsored Links
Apply glue to an hex bit, oversize, and hammer into socket, wait to set, remove.

You write off the bolt and the bit, but job done.

If a hacksaw slot is too narrow for a screwdriver blade, try putting TWO blades together in the hacksaw frame to cut a wider slot.

If all else fails, drill the head with a drill bit somewhat larger than the diameter of the bolt, and the head will fall off. Then remove the remains of the bolt with mole grips / waterpump pliers. Once the head is removed, the pressure on the threads is relieved, and sometimes it's possible to unscrew them with just finger pressure.

Some Car Jacks come with a tyre lever with a flattened end that looks like a very large screwdriver. If you've got one or can borrow one it might be worth a try getting it into that slot you've cut.
You do realise the photo's aren't actual size just a few mm across.? :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back