Need some advice for new door frame inc pics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I am thinking of removing a door frame in upstairs bedroom as the wood is knackered from previous tenants where hinges etc go .

In the pics i have provided ,i have arrowed where the frame is attached ...Is it simply just removing the frame from the wood supports leaving the supports in place ? if so can i go and buy a frame already to go in it's place ? do i measure for new frame from the wood supports i.e from one side to the other from top,middle and bottom inside ,and also the same for the height ?

Would rather someone give me a few pointers as i am going a head with this and also put new door on as well.Please don't say go and pay a joiner to do it as i would prefer to have ago myself.You learn nothing if you do not try yourself .Thanks

Sixshooter.

Sponsored Links
I'd measure it all up as it is and see if a standard door casing is close enough, rip the old one out and then fit a new one in to the recess.

The timberwork each side would stay as it is. Just watch that the fame isnt supporting whatever is above it....

Hi thanks for the quick response ..My only concern is the above bit of the frame which seems not to be attached to anything above i.e any posts .This above piece is part of the frame. i will go an measure the frame and see what you guys think :LOL:

I measured the frame from where the yellow arrow is ,from one side across to the other side of of the frame on the opposite wall and it measured 31" 9/16 across from frame to frame. the height of the frame from laminate floor ( this passes under door frame ) and is 79" high.

Will i be able to get a frame from one of the sheds to fit this opening ?

Sponsored Links
Hi TheVictorian,

The link you provided .What else would i need to buy ? ..Sorry for sounding dumb but first time doing this is this a complete frame that i just need to attach ? Also is it better to screw this in place ?

Thanks once again it's appreciated.

shooter

It looks like you have no lintel? if you pull the frame out the bricks will come down.

It looks like you have no lintel? if you pull the frame out the bricks will come down.
yes there is no lintel but it is a hollow wall about 2ft that is plastered.I can see right through where the architrave was removed ,so just a few crumbling bits of plaster would come away.

Screw in new frame, hammering in nails can disturb brickwork. The other timbers have probably been put in to reduce the opening to suit a frame.

Been to wickes and got the rebated frame ...i have took old one out without any problems ,got different frame to one posted by Thevictorian as this fits better...I have also made the opening wider as the other frame (header was a bit smaller).

Just need to make sure i put it up square ..Is it best to screw the hinge side first ? cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back