Need some boiler / hot water advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

We have an old Worcester 280 combi that I think dates back to around 1995. It broke down not long after we moved in (2005) and we called a worcester engineer out who, after plying with tea and biscuits, replaced more components in it than he should have. The result has been that we've not had a problem with it since. However, our kids are becoming teenagers and already there is drama over showering (can't use both at the same time, also they're taking far too long in there!). Also, the old boiler is in the way of some kitchen re-design plans and as I assume it can't be re-sited, it will have to go.

Having not been in the market for heating systems for many years, I'm not sure what I ought to be looking at and would like to know more before getting any quotes.

The house is a large-ish detached 4 bed, 2 bath, 1930's brick & tile construction.

I'm guessing a combi wont cut it anymore and I'll need some sort of tank but beyond that, I'm clueless. Can anyone help me figure out what sort of options I should be looking into?

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Get yourself a pressure gauge and measure the static pressure ( no water flow) and the pressure at various flowrate's. Only then can you make an informed decision on the boiler/cylinder options.

If you're looking to run two showers at once, you're going to need a hot water cylinder. If your incoming mains flow rate is good, an unvented cylinder will maintain your hot water at mains pressure. Joule are a good make, and for boilers you can't go wrong with Intergas

Sponsored Links
thanks all.

The baxi calculator says I need 39.2kW (feels a bit high!)

I've never heard of intergas or joule! We've had Worcester Bosch, Baxi, Ideal and Vaillant boilers in the past - mostly combi's - never had a unvented cylinder before.

I've been surfing about and have found folk talking about pairing a combi boiler with an unvented cylinder - why would they do that? not sure if thats a good idea or not. I've also seen a some combi boilers that will store hot water - as we don't have any obvious place to site a cylinder I'm wondering if that might be worth looking into...

Also, it would be great if there are any rules of thumb on installation costs as I've no idea what to expect at all...

Cheers

First measure dynamic flow rate from mains water. Minimum of 22 li/min @ 1.0 bar.

The a cylinder of about 50 li plus 50 li per person there. Or might just put in a 300 li.

I would be very surprised if you really needed 40 kW unless you still have single glazed sash windows and no loft insulation.

Mine is fairly similar and manages with 24 kW.

Tony

Storage combi boiler only store a small amount and are primarily to fill a bath quicker. Then they revert to their basic flow rate of about 11 li/min.

Any combi can be used to heat a cylinder to as well as supplying one outlet, often the kitchen. But little point in fitting one as it is a little more expensive than a heat only boiler.

Tony

Cylinder (and boiler) could go in the loft, assuming you have roofspace. Ultimately though, any system is entirely dependant on what the mains can supply, if you don't have a stored water supply. Unvented will deliver hot water at mains pressure, but can only put out what it gets in.

The storage combis are rather large, several people have compared them to a washing machine on the wall, and as Tony has pointed out, they have limitations. Fast recovery cylinder is probably the best way forward IMO, assuming supply is up to it.

But the Worcester Highflows are only a storage combi and run out after a short while like any other.

They use a slightly different technique of storing primary water unlike the others.

Last edited:
You must be on fookin drugs suggesting one of those.

Each to their own Terry. In the real world not every customer wants an unvented and system boiler even though it is the BEST solution. I'm only offering the customer alternatives. I've fitted these in Family homes where the above was the criteria, and my customers seem very happy with them. I've got a couple of old Hiflo 400's still going and when they give up the ghost they're being replaced with the 440cdi's.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back