Need some boiler / hot water advice

Sponsored Links
Apologies for the thread resurrection.

The old Worcester stumbled on until very recently and its now very much dying a slow and painful death.

I’ve had a quote in from a local chap I like and he recommended a Baxi Megaflo 24 paired with a Jet 170L unvented tank (Jet is made by the same manufacturer as Megaflo?)

Anyway, Baxi scares me as we’ve had a bad experience with one in the past but are they really to be avoided?

Is the current thinking on a recommendation still for a Intergas HRE SB coupled with a Joule tank?

My time is limited and I’m going to need to get this sorted before the old one goes out for the last time!

Cheers

Go for an Intergas combined with an unvented, (if your incoming mains allows) configured as hot water priority and you can use a smaller cylinder

thanks Razor900!

We do have good pressure coming into the house.

Family of 5 with multiple showers and sometimes baths running in the morning and evening. Are you saying that a 170L cylinder is too big?

Any thoughts on the Jet series of cylinders?

Sponsored Links
A cylinder is never too big. I thought you said space was limited though?

I've only seen a couple of jet cylinders, they seem ok just a generic unvented. I have to tell you that I work for Intergas but being objective I wouldn't go with the Baxi

Sorry - We’ve decided to go for a loft installation now and there is plenty of room up there, so space isn’t a problem any longer…

Should have mentioned that before!

Go with Joule (especially if you're wary of Baxi, who of course make the Megaflo and its various offspring). Probably a 250L if you have the space, configured to hot water priority with the Intergas boiler. Go for an ECO RF and you'll get 3 yeasts extra warranty over the SB for next to no extra money...I pay £35 more for an ECO RF 24 than a HRE 18 SB

Last edited:
Thanks smuggles - although now I’m a little confused. I had assumed that the “Combi Compact ECO RF 24” was a combi boiler and if it is, how would that work with a tank?

Also, isn’t there more to go wrong with a combi over a system boiler?

I’ll read up on hot water priority bit - but it sounds straight forward…

Lastly, the Intergas site says that the ECO RF 24 is only good for 1-3 bedrooms and 1 bathroom - I’m guessing though that this will be more about its ability to heat water on the fly, as its a combi. Is that right? Will it be enough to heat mid-size (1900 sq ft) 4 bed house with 2 bathrooms and 14 (possibly rising to 16 with extension plans in the offing) rads?

Many thanks!

Ooh, one more question. The other brand of boiler thats coming through in my searching is the Viessmann which, if i understand it correctly, has an outdoor sensor that offers efficiency benefits. Does the intergas range have anything similar?

Cheers!

@canonbeck there are a number of us on here, who are Intergas fans, with good reasons...

What’s your location?

An Intergas Eco RF 24 (combi boiler) is used in this instance as a system boiler and is installed as a D-plan. With the use of an external expansion vessel, a mid-port motorised valve and some clever wiring, the boiler is able to operate in different output modes for CH and DHW... the latter being high output as the cylinder coil in a UV can take a lot more heat and transfer this to the surrounding water, very quickly which gives excellent recovery times for the DHW to be replenished. In addition, the Eco RF comes with a long warranty and only has a few moving parts... no diverter valve or plate-hex and a very robust main hex.

A couple of us from this forum installed just such a system, for another member of this forum, just before Christmas... 5 adults in the house, all wanting to use the showers in the space of an hour each morning... they’re delighted with the resulting performance.

We have another two installs of this configuration to do in the next couple of
months.

Intergas and Joule... you will not be disappointed (y)

Although the boiler comes configured as a combi it can be changed in the software to be a combi, water heater, traditional switched live boiler or priority domestic hot water.

And it can do any of these on a sealed system or open vented.

Plus with the ECO you currently get ten years warranty and the facility for the installer to monitor the boiler remotely if you want.

To answer your earlier question yes it's compatible with weather compensation but more importantly it's also fully Opentherm ready

Thanks both!

I’m in Kettering, Northants.

I’m guessing that this kind of installation will require an installer with a good level of familiarity with the Intergas system and will likely be beyond folk who regularly fit Baxis (or anything non-Intergas)?

Razor - as you work for Intergas, can you tell me if they recommend an installer in my area?

Cheers!

Thanks both!

I’m in Kettering, Northants.

I’m guessing that this kind of installation will require an installer with a good level of familiarity with the Intergas system and will likely be beyond folk who regularly fit Baxis (or anything non-Intergas)?

Razor - as you work for Intergas, can you tell me if they recommend an installer in my area?

Cheers!

@Dan Robinson is only an hour away from you he’d probably be able... I’ll ask him when I speak to him in a few mins. You can contact him via his profile page.

The baxi calculator says I need 39.2kW (feels a bit high!)

Lastly, the Intergas site says that the ECO RF 24 is only good for 1-3 bedrooms and 1 bathroom - I’m guessing though that this will be more about its ability to heat water on the fly, as its a combi. Is that right? Will it be enough to heat mid-size (1900 sq ft) 4 bed house with 2 bathrooms and 14 (possibly rising to 16 with extension plans in the offing) rads?

You need to ensure the heat loss of the house has been calculated correctly. Otherwise, if it's too small, it won't be able to deliver enough heat during the coldest winter days, and if it's too big, it won't work efficiently the rest of the year.

I'm not very familiar with Intergas, but a quick look on their website shows:

ECO RF 24 is rated at 18KW for CH:
http://www.intergasheating.co.uk/consumer/product/combi-compact-eco-rf-24/

HRE 18 SB is rated at 18KW for CH:
http://www.intergasheating.co.uk/consumer/product/compact-hre-18-sb/

Given the longer warranty on the ECO RF, that seems to be the one to go for. Maybe the ECO RF 36 (if your heat loss calculation is correct):

http://www.intergasheating.co.uk/consumer/product/combi-compact-eco-rf-36/

Although, it too is rated at only 26KW for CH. Maybe one of the Intergas experts can comment on whether it's output can be adjusted higher? (It's certainly capable of more output for DHW).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back