need to know the name of this lock

Expect £25-£30 for the chubb 3g114 to be repacked with new levers.
The Assa Oval cylinder, depends if you want bog standard or half decent.
I would suggest the direct Assa replacement or the Evva £45 ish.

Go to a local locksmiths rather than the sheds. They will try and sell you a complete 3G114 not replace the insides, what you save there can go towards the best quality Assa Oval you can afford.

Decent locksmiths belong to MLA/BLI

http://www.locksmiths.co.uk/

Sponsored Links
Not really, as none of the cylinders sold there are SINGLE cylinders :D

The Chubb 3G114 has now been replaced by the 3G114E which has a longer throw bolt, and takes different levers. The new one meets the latest British Standard which your insurance co probably requires, the older one does not. It is however the exact same size, so will fit perfectly as a replacement.

The Chubb is a very strong and reliable lock, I use it myself.

However you can get other BS locks cheaper. Much to my surprise, the latest Union J2134E BS Deadlock scored higher in "Which" tests about 4 years ago, and was as good as the Ingersoll and the Bramah at four times the price :eek:

Some other cheap brands, like the Wickes, are not so good.

Due to recent expiry of Trade Name licensing, the Chubb locks are now badged Union C series (though they are still made by the same company, to the same designs, on the same machines). A competent locksmith will know what you mean by a Chubb 3G114E, though, and may still have some in packs with the Chubb name, in his stock.

BTW there is a thing called an Abloy cylinder, which has a weird looking key and is very expensive, ASSA locks made by the same company are ordinary price and ordinary looking key.

Be aware that the picture shows an Oval Cylinder which is not the same as a Euro Cylinder. The Euro Cylinder is now much more common and readily available, but you would have to change the lock case as well as the cylinder if you wanted to use one.

Your right the 3G114 is now a E.

But you cannot beat a Bramah, the boltwork jams itself if attacked. The thing is virtually unpickable. Drill it and it collapses on itself if you miss the exact spot.

Saying that, I have picked one or two.
Then again it is my job :D

Sponsored Links
Your right the 3G114 is now a E.

But you cannot beat a Bramah, the boltwork jams itself if attacked. The thing is virtually unpickable. Drill it and it collapses on itself if you miss the exact spot.

Saying that, I have picked one or two.
Then again it is my job :D

so it's you and Mr Hobbs in 1851 who have picked a Bramah?!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back