Need to remove cat urine from concrete to lay vinyl.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys,

Basically I moved into a new house which had no flooring anywhere.

I have done most rooms and I have some sheet vinyl to go in my downstairs hallway but one of our cats keeps ****ing by the front door no matter what we do.

The problem is I have to clean and get rid of the smell so when the landlord comes round next month it doesn't stink plus obviously I don't want it to smell anyway. Plus it's right by the front door so it's the first thing you notice.

I was going to use an enzyme cleaner to start with then I thought about sealing the floor to stop the smell coming through if it isn't all gone and also just to stop any other moisture.

If I seal it I am not sure what to use? I thought it wouldn't need to be heavy duty as it's under sheet vinyl.

I just wanted to ask for advice please or thoughts from anyone who has had a similar situation as it's quite stressful.

Sponsored Links
Scrub it with a strong household cleaner like flash and allow to dry.

With luck the smell will deter the cat from that particular spot

50 / 50 white vinegar and water.

When vinegar evaporates it leave no smell.

Can put on neat but I'd water down.

Sponsored Links
We used to use a strong, hot solution of biological washing detergent when we had cats. Jeyes fluid works well, too, but not everyone likes the smell (good for dealing with broken soil stack overflows, I've found)

Try sprinkling a copious amounts of bicarbonate of soda on the area and leave it overnight.

Thanks. This is definitely an option. Maybe along with the enzyme cleaner it could work well.

Scrub it with a strong household cleaner like flash and allow to dry.

With luck the smell will deter the cat from that particular spot

Yeah thanks. It should be more manageable when the vinyl is down with it being waterproof etc.

50 / 50 white vinegar and water.

When vinegar evaporates it leave no smell.

Can put on neat but I'd water down.

Yeah thank you. This is definitely an option as well. I only care about the smell.

We used to use a strong, hot solution of biological washing detergent when we had cats. Jeyes fluid works well, too, but not everyone likes the smell (good for dealing with broken soil stack overflows, I've found)

Thanks. That's interesting. I have never used jeyes fluid but I have heard of it.

(Re-Jeyes fluid)
Thanks. That's interesting. I have never used jeyes fluid but I have heard of it.
Used a lot in hospitals and factories (although not so much these days as it is regarded as old fashioned). When I'm running jobs I always have a gallon can in the van as it cures even really nasty smelling drains or toilets. The biggest problem is that it is toxic to cats and dogs so it needs to be thoroughly washed away afterwards

The problem I've got as well is stopping the little ****e peeing on it at night.

Could I put plastic sheeting down at night to give it time to dry out for few days?

I have to ask if this is a male cat, if the cat is spayed and if the cat is urinating or scent marking.

If it is a tom and is scent marking then you need to get rid of the scent marker the cat (and quite probably a previous tenant's cat as well) has left there. Several treatments if the bio washing liquid will do that, but it doesn't address the underlying problem of why the cat is doing this.

My experience of cats is that they are generally pretty clean, but if you have a multi feline household the house move may have upset the balance of power between different cats and/or induced extra anxiety. There is also the factor that if your cat is a tom and goes outdoors he may well be vying for his place in the local cat heirachy (even neutered toms do this, although they generally won't fight as much as whole toms)

So it may be worth talking to someone at your local vet, at the PDSA or somewhere like the Cats Protection League to see if cleaning plus the use of a cat pheremone product such as Feliway would be of use. This is a plug in unit which takes small bottles of pheromone compound and we found it of great help when our big stupid tom cat went through a move some 30 years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to ask if this is a male cat, if the cat is spayed and if the cat is urinating or scent marking.

If it is a tom and is scent marking then you need to get rid of the scent marker the cat (and quite probably a previous tenant's cat as well) has left there. Several treatments if the bio washing liquid will do that, but it doesn't address the underlying problem of why the cat is doing this.

My experience of cats is that they are generally pretty clean, but if you have a multi feline household the house move may have upset the balance of power between different cats and/or induced extra anxiety. There is also the factor that if your cat is a tom and goes outdoors he may well be vying for his place in the local cat heirachy (even neutered toms do this, although they generally won't fight as much as whole toms)

So it may be worth talking to someone at your local vet, at the PDSA or somewhere like the Cats Protection League to see if cleaning plus the use of a cat pheremone product such as Felliway would be of use. This is a plug in unit which takes small bottles of pheromone compound and we found it of great help when our big stupid tom cat went through a move some 30 years ago.

Yep it is a male bengal cat and he is the most dominant or tries to be. Male bengals are known for scent marking as well. We got a dog last year as well so it has probably really upset the balance along with moving house. We have enough clean litter trays etc but it just doesn't stop. He has been neutered, but it didn't change much.

I thought if I can get vinyl down and get rid of the smell then it will be easier to manage without it soaking into the concrete. I will look into the felliway because I have heard some good things. I will try anything to be honest. It's an embarrassment.

I am gonna get all the stuff I need then give it a good clean.

Deal with the smell first, but talk to your vet as well. I'm not saying that Feliway will be a silver bullet, but I know a few people who've used it with success. Not the cheapest product, but hey, you've got a Bengal! (the feline equivalent of running a Bentley, surely?)

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back