Neighbour hasn't rendered block built wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all I hope you can help.

Our neighbour has recently completed the build of a new property which is constructed from breeze block and has a rendered finish as per the approved plans. At the rear of the property is a single story section (3m high) which faces our property and is very visible from our kitchen.
When the house was rendered this section was not rendered and remains unsightly breeze block work with poorly applied mortar. In Apr 22 our neighbour asked us to trim back the hedging that is partly in front of it so the builders had better access. We did this and he is aware that we will allow access for the rendering to take place. In Sep 22 we followed up with him and he said he was aware but it would probably have to wait until after winter now. We suspect that he has no intention of rendering it, leaving us looking at a very unsightly wall (He has already not rendered our side of a wall at the front and in the rear garden but thankfully mostly out of sight) . We will obviously follow up with him again now it is spring but what (if any) avenues via Planning, Building Control or other do we have to make sure this work is completed?

Thx

Sponsored Links
Tell him you will be using a sprinkler to water your bushes this summer and those unrendered breeze blocks will soak up water like a sponge. ;)

Sponsored Links
It was very kind of you to cut the hedging back, but I'm quite sure you wouldn't have managed to get rid of all the ivy/Virginia creeper that was there too

what (if any) avenues via Planning, Building Control or other do we have to make sure this work is completed?
Nothing you can do to make him render. This happens a lot in situations where people don't give access. They stamp their feet and think by refusing access they are exerting their authority. That is until 12 months later when they realise it's them looking at an awful block walI, which can sometimes not be the highest quality having been built overhand. At that point they try to make them come back and render but, unfortunately for them, the boat sailed.

Next step (for them, not you) is to complain to planners but the planners find themselves helpless. There's nothing they can do about it either.

My advice is speak and ask about the render. If it comes to nothing maybe stick a couple of fence panels up.

So what you're telling me is there is no avenue to get him to comply with his planning approval which says rendered finish.... is it not a breach of planning?

I've just had planning approved for a garage which the LA said had to have wood cladding. On the same basis I assume therefore I don't actually need to wood clad it and could just leave it as block (not that I would).

I will as originally stated speak to my neighbour about it again.

If I wanted to install a higher fence to shield it the fence would need to be 3m high which I assume would need planning?

The problem is that there is no mechanism, in planning, for setting a completion date. Approvals always set a date by which works must start, but no end date. Therefore, people can just say; it's work in progress and I'm getting around to it. I do recall a case a while back where an LPA took action against an unfinished job, but that was a job that hadn't been touched for about twenty years, was a complete falling down eyesore, and was in a National Park somewhere. But no LPA is going to spend money on unfinished render around the back.

PS. you are right, you would need planning for a 3m high fence. But who's going to complain? The neighbour with the unfinished render.

unsightly breeze block work

if it’s thermalites, they aren’t really suitable for external facework.

I suppose you could ask the neighbour if he isn’t going to do it, could you put up a high fence / trellis and grow a climber up it.

Or maybe say to him: look if you get the wall battened and covered with rendaboard, I will fill the screw holes and paint it.

If he is rendering it, he needs to get it done once the wet cold weather passes but before hot summer weather.

PS. you are right, you would need planning for a 3m high fence. But who's going to complain? The neighbour with the unfinished render.
Yes exactly that, the neighbour with the unfinished render would complain. That's what he is like.

Ivy. Cover it in ivy. Maybe plant half a dozen Leylandii right next to it.

Building control wont sign off my extension until the concrete block walls are waterproofed. Its unlikely they will get their completion cert unless its done.

If the blocks are suitable for exposure that would be perfectly acceptable and building control would have no choice but sign it off.

If the blocks are suitable for exposure that would be perfectly acceptable and building control would have no choice but sign it off.

Do you know if concrete blocks are suitable for exposure? I cant find any documents to prove building control wrong. I could understand if it was built using thermalites...

You would need to know the manufacturer and type of block, then read the data sheets on the manufacturer's website or speak to them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back