Neighbours weeds

She what scowls at me one got annoyed that the people renting the house next door had let a tree start growing on their side of fence. They aren't in to gardening...

I mentioned salt being effective at killing plants. It took a while, but it worked.

Sponsored Links
Are you sure this is not Japaneses knotweed . Red branches are a sure sign

If so you would need it commercially treated

I am not sure but I don't think it is Japanese knotweed

The following provides an identifier guide

The leaves seem to be the wrong shape and the branches look to be a uniform colour.

The OP could always download a plant identifier app for their phone. They often have free trial periods.

I use a product called roundup concentrate which i believe is the same as Glyphosate, just branded and also i think a lot more expensive - but i got a few 1L concentrate a few years ago, on offer around £30 a litre ,

I've had my 5L unbranded concentrate a few years, I paid around £20 for it. I use around 150ml to 7 litres. Where such things are concerned, I check the active ingredient and look for the cheaper unbranded versions. I do likewise with drugs, should I need them.

The leaves seem to be the wrong shape and the branches look to be a uniform colour.

Some appear to be the correct shape - quite pointy at the end, flat where they meet the stem. If it is knotweed, it is notifiable.

Sponsored Links
Some appear to be the correct shape - quite pointy at the end, flat where they meet the stem. If it is knotweed, it is notifiable.

In image number 1 , they seem to be heart shaped. Look at middle to lower right hand side of the image.

It might be helpful if the OP cuts a bit off and takes a photo, but based on the link I provided, I do not think it is knotweed, but I am just following that link.

In image number 1 , they seem to be heart shaped. Look at middle to lower right hand side of the image.

It might be helpful if the OP cuts a bit off and takes a photo, but based on the link I provided, I do not think it is knotweed, but I am just following that link.

Better to assume it is knotweed, until it is confirmed not to be. It's terrible stuff and can do a lot of expensive damage.

I think its a Russian vine, bloody Russians will invade anything not fenced in!
Otherwise known as the mile a minute plant because of how quick it grows.

IF my neighbours weeds that are now all over my back yard were as good as that lot I'd be happy.
I have to contend with the sharp teeth of dragons with swords.... well that's what the damn stuff feels like lol
I leave it well alone unless it's preventing us getting up the decking steps then have to don the leather gloves and sharp cutting wotsits.

Find the main branches coming out of the ground and cut them.
Then you can either wait for it to die, remove and burn or just remove it green.
Finally, dig the roots out.

I think its a Russian vine, bloody Russians will invade anything not fenced in!
Otherwise known as the mile a minute plant because of how quick it grows.
Yep, Russian Vine (mile a minute plant), heavy artillery is the only solution.

Just dig it out, it will take half an hour from start to finish and you won't be using chemicals and looking at it every day waiting for the effect.
And, you'd still have to dig it out even if you kill it.
May be the OP is looking for an App on his phone. the fact is it is half an hours hard work that is needed.

May be the OP is looking for an App on his phone.
Not particularly kind or at all helpful.

This page seems to repeat things mentioned here: physically removing it as the most effective but standard weedkiller a good option too. Depends if you can get to the source?

As mentioned before, it’s growing from behind my neighbours shed. There is no option for me to get to the root of it and dig it out. My neighbours not bothered about it one way or another.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back