Nest Installation Help – Lots of Pics!

Can I just check my thinking?

So in Z2 if I trace the two wires that go to the themostate, remove these in the MWC to use for the 12v power, and then add new wires going to the Nest Heat link where these wires were located. That should do it?

Sponsored Links
So far so good. Got the upstairs one all set up and working great! I made all the connections at the wall wiring center and didn't touch the megaflo wiring centre.

One issue I came across was once wired up the valve was working but the boiler did not fire, so I put back the old brown call for heat cable back in the choc block at the wiring center as well as the new cable going to the Nest heat link (all in the same terminal), and all worked great. Although I'm not sure why I still need that cable? Used some gray cables (they were not connected to anything in the wiring centre and just loose at the old themostate location) to carry the 12v to the main unit.

Going to do the downstairs one/HW tonight :)

Wish me luck!

Humm, downstairs didn't go as well. I managed to the the heat link clicking when turned the themostate up, but it was not triggering the valve or pump to come on. Looks likes it not getting power, so my wiring is not right.

See pic below, I take it this must use the neutral wire to bridge the call for heat circuit? Ie it connects neutral and number 4 to call for heat? So I need to find the wire that goes to 4 and the wire that goes to neutral in the wiring centre and connect the wire then went to 4 to 3 (call for heat) on the heat link and the neutral to 2 (common) on the heat link?

Thanks
Matt

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Anyone got any advice? Thanks :)

Yes. Pay someone who knows what they are doing to do it for you.

That's not very helpful. Starting to realise why this is called DiyNOT!

If you read the thread I've already paid for someone to do it, but he couldn't. Like most trades people I comes across, thick as pigsh*t and no critical thinking or problem solving skills.

Anyway I'll work it out myself.

If you read the thread I've already paid for someone to do it, but he couldn't. Like most trades people I comes across, thick as pigsh*t and no critical thinking or problem solving skills.

I am sorry you had a bad experience with your supposedly trained Nest installer.

Now you are stereotyping all trades people on the basis of one bad experience. Many of us run very successful businesses using our critical thinking and problem solving skills. Why do you think we should give away this knowledge to people like you who think you can do our job, then cry for help when it all goes tits up?

Do you go on medical forums asking for advice on how to remove your own appendix?

I am sorry you had a bad experience with your supposedly trained Nest installer.

Now you are stereotyping all trades people on the basis of one bad experience. Many of us run very successful businesses using our critical thinking and problem solving skills. Why do you think we should give away this knowledge to people like you who think you can do our job, then cry for help when it all goes tits up?

Do you go on medical forums asking for advice on how to remove your own appendix?

Because this is a DIY forum? Why you coming on here if you don't want to share information? Very odd!

I gave you the best advice, if you don't want to take it then that is your prerogative.

Merry Christmas.

what your asking is too much imo, we professionals use our free time to give out plenty of useful advice that saves the public £££££ on here,you however are not just asking for advice but for your hand to be held step by step which takes a lot of investment in our time and a lot of explaining especially to someone who clearly doesn't know what he is doing and i don't think anyone has the time to do that when we could be working for a paying customer.

anyway good luck with it.

Yer no worries. Think I've cracked it now. Both heating zones working fine, just hot water to do. Pretty easy when you sit down and think about it.

I will certainly question your judgement about being so derogatory to people in the heating profession if you still want advice.

You have been advised to get a professional installer. Don't you think that is good advice? Certainly your efforts so far have not got it fully working!

You had one installer who does seem to be rather less that ideal. But perhaps these installations are not as simple as you first thought. You presumably think that you are a clever person but making those postings above criticising the very people who could help you don't seem so sensible.

I am a Nest accredited installer but the only advice I am going to give you now is to get someone to fit it for you.

Tony

Don't worry. I've done it. Happy days. It's really easy to be honest once you sit down, take your time and have a think. Money for old rope these 'professional' installers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back