Netgear wireless adapter problem.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Installed Netgear adapter onto my PC. When attempting to connect

the signal is showing 94% strength but its not finding an IP address.

Pleas help any ideas!

craig.

Sponsored Links
thats funny, neither did mine, i forgot to read the instrcutions

What's the model number? What model is your router? Have you the same WEP password in both? Have you got DHCP enabled on the router?

Do you have a working wireless network already or is this the first time you are setting it up.

More detail = better chance of a fix. ;)

Sponsored Links
Sorry, I am not very good with all this computer stuff! The PC has been connected via a wired connection but this is the first attempt at a wireless connection. The model of the aapter is a WG111v2 and the modem is netgear also. The adapter will get so far with the installation but then will not connect to our network. Have tried loading it a few times but get the same result each time. Do I need to check the settings for something else?

Craig

Lots of possibilities.

Turn off ALL firewalls/Internet security on your PC. Using your wired connection, turn off ALL router security.

Try running the Wireless Wizard from Windows (assuming XP) or run the utility disk again. Post back you results.

If you search the forum, you will find many posts on setting up wireless stuff manually.

When you get a connection, you can turn your security back on.

Still no luck! The error message is saying the network did not assign a network address to the computer. Any ideas?

Craig

Have you got DHCP enabled on the router? Which model router?

routerke9.jpg

Have you ever used the router with wireless yet?

craig1 said:
Still no luck! The error message is saying the network did not assign a network address to the computer.
That's not surprising, because successful network configuration isn't based on luck.

BTW, the DG834g comes with DHCP already turned on.

Any ideas?
You have to give more information. For example, have you made any configuration changes to the router? If so, what were they?

If not, have you tried connecting using a wired interface?

If DHCP is enabled, security and mac address filtering are disabled in the router then I don't see a reason for the router to be causing the problem. What operating system do you have on your (laptop?) PC? Have you disabled windows firewall and any other firewalls?

Might be worth checking if the DHCP service has been started on your computer in the first place otherwise your PC won't be able to dish out any IP addresses automatically.

To check, right click on My Computer and then select Manage.

Look for an option called Services & Applications in the left window pane - double click in this. Then click on Services in the right window pane.

Now search the list for DHCP Client . Can you see the column marked Status? The Status should be Started and the Startup Type set to Automatic.

If it isn't then double click on DHCP Client to view its properties.

Change the Startup Type to Automatic from drop down list.

Hit the button marked Start to fire the service up.

Now click OK to apply settings - DHCP is now enabled...

Time try your installation again!

b1rdman said:
Might be worth checking if the DHCP service has been started on your computer in the first place otherwise your PC won't be able to dish out any IP addresses automatically.
Er, b1rdman, you seem confused - the DHCP client service doesn't "dish out" IP addresses.

Yes I should of said in order to request\recieve an IP address...

but my advice to check if the service is running still stands.

Sponsored Links
Back