Neutral earth fault

It could be that the faulty leg has been manufactured in floor void and jointed there, and taking feeds from a common cable. So you may not be able to split the circuit fully and that is the reason for identical readings appearing at multiple outlets.
It has now come to a point that testing has served it's purpose and invasive investigation is required.

I came across a similar problem when I went to a trip fault, where a floor socket had been disconnected from a section of a circuit and just dropped in to the floor void and then came influenced by water ingress.

Sponsored Links
Ok, got somewhere today. Found the wiring in my house for the sockets appears to zig zag from downstairs to upstairs. I pulled up floorboard near socket 2 and saw both cables disapear downstairs!The 3 sockets I mentioned yesterday spanning 2 bedrooms had 2 faults on. The first fault was due to a nicked neutral core in the downstairs lounge(socket 3 in bedroom 2)! It was touching the metal back box. Great...easy fix, the second fault is in the kitchen which feeds my socket 1 in bedroom 1! I found a fused spur behind my fridge freezer. This spur feeds under cabinet lights snd also appears to act as a junction box for another 3 sets of live cables - this is a nightmare and well crammed in. 1 of those live cables goes approximately 3ft to the left to feed a socket above a worktop. It's this length that is neutral to earth short. Looking at the way the cable exits/enters, I'm guessing a rogue screw from fixing the kitchen cabinets has hit the spot. I disconnected this cable and run a temporary line just to prove it and success!! So, I rewired as original for now as I need to chop wall out and get a new cable in (wife wants to cook so that's stopped me today). Thanks for the advice yesterday!

Ok, got somewhere today.
That sound unnecessarily modest - you appear to have cracked it. I have to say that you were very unlucky to have two separate N-E faults on the same circuit, but I suppose you got to the stage yesterday which seemed to indicate that there was not really any other possible explanation. Well done!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back