Neutral Query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Was looking at the sticky to see what earthing arrangement I had and was just curious by the diagram for the TN-S, if someone could enlighten please,

I see the live is protected by the main service fuse but the neutral just flows back normally, is the neutral still isolated when the main service fuse is pulled as the live completes the circuit or am i getting confused.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
1) The situation you describe is the same whether it's TN-S, TN-C-S or TT.

2) Neutral is not isolated when the main fuse is pulled, but as it's at 0V, more-or-less, wo earth that's not really a problem. Although technically neutral is a live conductor....

only the live must be fused.

Imagine if both live and neutral had a 60Amp fuse and a high overcurrent fault developed. Its a 50% chance that the neutral fuse would blow, leaving the live fuse intact. So there would still be 230v present in the installation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back