Never 100% happy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We seem to have tried most methods of painting new plaster(multifinish) now and I'm just never ever happy, either with the result or the method. Trying to get a as smooth and blemish free finish as possible.

Brush
-------
Very nice to use, but the finish full of brush marks.

Rollers
---------
Tried so many rollers, from the cheapest to the most expensive, even foam ones. All of them splatter and leave some kind of texture. Some leave fibres too! Is there some uber roller that I haven't yet bought or am I just crap?

Paint Pads
-----------
When I first tried a pad I thought it was great, the finish seems to be by far the best but it's a pig to do because the pads drag so much. Also, as smooth as the finish is, you can often see the lines the pad has taken.

We have a whole house freshly plastered to paint. Just done the first coat in the kitchen and not looking forward to the rest. Painting seems the easiest jobs for anybody to do, but one of the hardest to do right.

Sponsored Links
Tried so many rollers, from the cheapest to the most expensive, even foam ones. All of them splatter and leave some kind of texture.
They are supposed to leave a texture.

Roll slower.

Buy a short-pile Mohair roller and look after it well. Roller the wall first with water, then with your mist coat, to clear out any loose fibres before your finish coats.

Buy some dustsheets.

Try solid emulsion if you are clumsy.

You have to do the edges with a good brush (synthetic bristles as the water content softens pig-hair) and roller them while wet to blend in the texture

Brushmarks are also caused by putting it on too thick. Lay off to the wet side.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back