New 8.5kw Shower

The 40A wylex have a keyway so they will only fit in the slot next to the main switch, then that only if the main switch is adequate (100A for the multi way).
I wouldnt be suprised if an electrician recommends a new consumer unit.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
djwestie
2 months ago i had my bathroom refitted & a new 8.5kw(Triton) shower installed.

You should go back to whoever did the work for you and ask why they did not comply with the maker's instructions.

The Triton instructions clearly say two things that have not been done properly. http://secure.tritonshowers.co.uk/media/custom/upload/File-1359729341.pdf

1. Page 1 (Important Safety Information!!!!) Ref 3.5 it says an RCD MUST be installed
and
2. On Page 4, electrical requirements, there is a table (A) that states that an 8.5KW shower should have a 40amp MCB

They have not done the work properly. You should be telling them it does not comply with the makers instructions, and they need to fix it, included in the price they gave you for the job.

djwestie

You should go back to whoever did the work for you and ask why they did not comply with the maker's instructions.

Tbh had a bit of a fight to get the shower to work. I had to get them to re run the feed, but that's a whole other story.:cry:

The shower electrics already installed they just changed the shower. Although I suppose they should of noticed/advised me when fitting it.!!!??

Right oh here are a few pics.
20160217_190831.jpg

Electric cuboars.

Close up of fuse board
20160217_183626.jpg

I do believe I'm going to need rcd for all this lot. If so facto NEW consumer unit??

Can't put a price on safety.

Sponsored Links
djwestie

Tbh had a bit of a fight to get the shower to work. I had to get them to re run the feed, but that's a whole other story.:cry:

The shower electrics already installed they just changed the shower. Although I suppose they should of noticed/advised me when fitting it.!!!??

Right oh here are a few pics.
View attachment 93747
Electric cuboars.

Close up of fuse board
View attachment 93748

I do believe I'm going to need rcd for all this lot. If so facto NEW consumer unit??

Can't put a price on safety.

The main switch on the right of the consumer unit is an RCD - but it is 100 mA, not 30 mA, so it's not good enough to protect the shower.

Looking at the age of the board, someone should check what size cable is supplying the shower. Back in the early 80s, electric showers were less powerful than today, and sometimes only a small 4.0mm2 cable was used, so someone ought to check you have a cable bigger than that.

Be prepared for either a whole new consumer unit, or an additional board with a 30 mA, 40 A+ RCD and 40 A MCB, and a small, small chance of a new shower cable put in.

Alternatively, if the existing consumer unit is capable of having circuits higher than 30 A (some Wylex aren't) then if a 40 A MCB is fitted, a standalone RCD could be fitted closeby, for just the shower. Again, subject to the wiring being the correct size.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back