new bathroom - an update and question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, it's doing my head in. I've been let down by 2 people now, the first one said he'd be with me x date but did not, then he said it would be the end of the following week and still no show.

Went on to check a trade and found someone else. he came round the other day to look at the job. the poor chap was hobbling around and said he was going in for a hip operation - so that's him out of action for a while.

meanwhile i have had the new kit delivered and it's been in my spare room for over a month now. It's very frustrating putting up with a cr@p bathroom as i stripped all the tiles and flooring so there's only the shyte bath sink and loo in there atm. why is it so difficult to get someone to fit it?

I found it easy and a pleasure to have the window guys and sparky here recently with no mucking about but the bathroom grrrrrrrrrrrr

rant over, any suggestions please?

Sponsored Links
Any recommendations? Local small newspapers?

Recommendation is the best way obviously - but otherwise, the guidance of three quotes and then choose your favourite from that. Dont base it just on price - ask them questions and get a feel for which ones really understand the job. Get examples of previous work they have done - and if possible a telephone number for the last person they did a bathroom from to see if they were happy with the work.

If you were a bit closer id offer my services :LOL:

If friends or family can't recommend someone, it maybe worth asking your local plumbers merchants for a recommendation. What part of Berkshire are you in?

Thank your for replies so far. I moved here 11 weeks ago so don't really know many people.

Markbr i'm very near Newbury

Sponsored Links
Sorry Newbury is quite a bit out of my patch to know of any plumbers in your area.

Ps - in my local area there is a website that tradesman can only get on if they have had enough recommendations from happy customers, you may have something similar in Newbury; or if you have kids ask the other parents at the school

Further to Marks point above, that reminds me, I am on our Home Watch recommended traders list - similar to what Mark says - you have to have a couple of members recommend you after doing work for them - perhaps you could ask your neighbours if they have something similar?

Further to Marks point above, that reminds me, I am on our Home Watch recommended traders list - similar to what Mark says - you have to have a couple of members recommend you after doing work for them - perhaps you could ask your neighbours if they have something similar?

Do you have to pay anything to be on it ???

Hi, I've had a look in the local parish mag and there are a couple of guys in there, unfortunately 1 of them is one person who has let me down.

there doesn't appear to be a local recommended traders list. My kids are adults and not living here so that isn't an option unfortunately. I have asked at work but seemingly no-one has had similar work done or they are lucky enough to have partners who do their own diy. There is no way I could do it myself - if I could I would do. I do my own decorating and other bits.

i've called a couple of people from the local paper so see what happens there.

sorry to appear so downbeat but I am so upset about it that I could cry!

daft isn't it!

Im afraid you are over an hour away from me otherwise id be happy to help.

As Mark says, try your local plumbing merchants and although they probably wont be able to "recommend" someone they will happily pass you some phone numbers - and they won't give you the number of someone they don't think is up to the job.

thanks bournemouthplumber - I have just e-mailed Buildbase where I got all the kit from to ask them. I might do the same with PTS as they were very helpful when I bought new rads from them recently (which the sparky fitted for me)

bless you all for your help today. thank you

isnt it strange he cant find anyone to do the work? - and more importantly properly! esp in this day and age - my father-in-law had exactly the same problem a couple of years ago with people letting him down (I was too busy at the time to help full-time) - we ended up doing the job between us although it took a far while longer than he wanted

Dennyboy, yes it is strange, and just for the record I'm a she.

I put the job on mybuilder last night too and have had 2 responses from local people so am a bit more optimistic today.

fingers crossed

Try www.buywithconfidence.gov.uk I` do it cheaper than bournemouth ;) - if I was near enough ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back