New bathroom lights / fan pre-flight check...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone.
Before I write to BC with the details I thought I would check here to see what people thought about what I am planning on doing.

Nothing special just add 4 12v (zone 1) halogens and an in line extractor fan (fan in the loft).

The fan will be taken from a spur from the current lighting circuit for the bathroom via a 6 amp fsd. The lights will each have a transformer with 1mm cable on the 12v side (max run no more than 2m). Of course these will be on an rcd.

Fan controlled by pull cord in bathroom with lights via dimmer outside.

Question is as I can't add rcd's to my consumer unit I would need to put one in line before the lights. As I also need to add an FSD for the fan could I install a 2 way insulate enclosure (http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/HGGD102E.html) and fit an MCB for the fan and an RCBO for the lights ?

Cheers
Rob

Sponsored Links
Why do you need to have a separate fuse for the fan - if you're lighting circuit is already on a 6A breaker in your CU, then there is no need to add another for the fan. Obviously if you have a 10A lighting circuit, and the fan is only rated to 6, then ignore me.

What I'd be tempted to do is just to put something such as this http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CM4904.html on the wall just outside the bathroom (e.g. above the door), supplied from the lighting circuit, and have that supply the lights and fan for the bathroom - nice and easy to get to if it trips (you don't have to go crawling up in to the loft or whatever), and looks a little better than the 2 way enclosure...

Get one of these:

AP636.JPG

and you can put the fan isolator next to it.

Sponsored Links
You do need an isolator for the fan, but I doubt if you need a fused spur for it. Yes, you need the RCD and the one suggested would be a good choice. I'd go with BAS's dual box with rcd and isolator combi on the outside of the bathroom wall. Get a SELV fan (one that runs off of a 12 v transformer) and place the transformer next to the isolator.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back