New Bathroom (Wall Tile's , Plumbing, Advice)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

First of all I am new to the forum so hello to everyone.

The Project:

Moving an upstairs bathroom to produce more bedroom space. This new bathroom replaces the badly thought out design when originally moving the toilet from outside (Very old Mid Mews House).
The plan is to divide a bedroom in to two using two non- supporting walls. The newly created room will have no windows and will be fitted with a saniflow unit.

This where I need the advice:

Tiling and walls:
As I am going to tile all the walls, I have 2 old solid plastered walls (with patches which will need skimming) and two new walls which I can choose the surface on which I can tile.

Can I tile directly onto plaster board?

What treatments should use on the old wall before tiling?

Should I use Concrete board and plywood backing?

Plumbing:

I have an upstairs combie boiler which is in an airing cupboard. My plan is to use push to fit plastic pipe from the boiler up into the loft space and then across to the new wall and down into the cavity. I know that at least a meter of copper pipe is needed before I can connect the hot water from the boiler.

Is this a good Idea?

Thanks Rich
:?:

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I was under the impression that planning was only needed If I was moving the soil pipe or any load bearing walls. Internal plumbing only effected by regulations and not planning.

Can we be more specific on this thanks.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
hi
tiling, old walls, replace any old blown or unstable plaster, make good, pva walls 1:3 mix, tile over
new tiling surface, avoid platerboard, would use a h/w wbp plywood aprox 12mm or a cement based board such as aqua panel. if you are including a shower area you will certainly need to use the aqua panel
regards
john

Totally agree with above apart from one thing, the advice against plasterboard. if you use 12mm plasterboard (either dot-dab or traditional frame) as long as you pva it first using 3-1 mix its one of the best bases for tiling, certainly better than ply. if in a shower or wet area then aqua board all the way.

deanmacken said:
as long as you pva it first using 3-1 mix its one of the best bases for tiling, certainly better than ply. if in a shower or wet area then aqua board all the way.

Can someone clarify something for me regarding pva'ing a surface before tiling.

My plumber told me last week that a tiler told him that one should only pva just before tiling and if you pva but then leave it to dry (for like a day or so) then the surface isn't really good to tile onto anymore.

Is this true?

My plumber told me last week that a tiler told him that one should only pva just before tiling and if you pva but then leave it to dry (for like a day or so) then the surface isn't really good to tile onto anymore.

From personal experience, that's not true. I recently retiled my bathroom after initially doing it several years ago. We PVA'd our plastered walls both times and left them to dry for 24 hours before tiling. The old tiles came down with barely a mark on the plaster underneath - we just re-rendered with PVA and were ready to tile the next day.

This in contrast to what I had to face when we first moved in - the previous occupants had obviously not rendered the walls at all before tiling. Getting those tiles off took so much plaster off the walls, we were down to breeze blocks in places.

The general consensus on here (from what I've found) is that pva'ing a wet area is a no-no as the adhesive fails when the water penetrates the tiles/grout (which it will do, hence the need for tanking). There are purpose-made primers which do the job better.

My advice would be to get the existing plastered wall re-skimmed and plaster-board the non-wet areas. Any wet areas should be done with cement-board such as aqua-panel and then tanked prior to tiling. Alternatively you can batten onto the existing uneven walls and board these but this will obviously reduce the dimensions of your room but will save you the expense of employing a plasterer.

I used BAL's shower tanking kit when doing my walk-in shower which comes with everything you need such as primer, tanking membrane and tape.

I also bought another bottle of the BAL AP primer and put this on the plaster-board in the non-wetted areas prior to tiling.

Hi

First of all I am new to the forum so hello to everyone.

The Project:

Moving an upstairs bathroom to produce more bedroom space. This new bathroom replaces the badly thought out design when originally moving the toilet from outside (Very old Mid Mews House).
The plan is to divide a bedroom in to two using two non- supporting walls. The newly created room will have no windows and will be fitted with a saniflow unit.

This where I need the advice:

Tiling and walls:
As I am going to tile all the walls, I have 2 old solid plastered walls (with patches which will need skimming) and two new walls which I can choose the surface on which I can tile.

Can I tile directly onto plaster board?

What treatments should use on the old wall before tiling?

Should I use Concrete board and plywood backing?

Plumbing:

I have an upstairs combie boiler which is in an airing cupboard. My plan is to use push to fit plastic pipe from the boiler up into the loft space and then across to the new wall and down into the cavity. I know that at least a meter of copper pipe is needed before I can connect the hot water from the boiler.

Is this a good Idea?

Thanks Rich
:?:

It's very important to put attention into plumbing. Better if you'll have little information about it, at least you'll know what's going when plumbing works takes place in your new bathroom, try to see this http://www.plumbing-schools.net to give you an idea :)

It's very important to put attention into plumbing. Better if you'll have little information about it, at least you'll know what's going when plumbing works takes place in your new bathroom, try to see this http://www.plumbing-schools.net to give you an idea :)

If your gonna spam the forum with your adds, at least use your brains & pick a current topic, not one that’s 3 years old :rolleyes:

Admin gonna kick your ass sometime soon fella :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back