new boiler advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am getting quotes in for a new boiler to replace a conventional back boiler that is 25 years old( it still works without problems but gas fire in front is too old) :(
Have been quoted for a keston c36 condensing combi and vaillant ecotec plus 824 condensing combi for a 1 bed flat . Any info on problems with either greatly appreciated as have to make decision very soon.

It will be fitted in an old airing cupboard so flue will have to run out through airing cupboard into kitchen then to outside wall.
does the airing cupboard need to be fireproofed with flame retardant plaster board?
would they also need to remove the old header tank in the loft space.
I have a aqualisa power shower as well how do I know if it is compatible with the new boiler .
They also want to treat system with inhibitor is this necessary ? Or should I also change radiators as they are also 25 years old?

Sponsored Links
the Vaillant ecotecplus 824 or ecotecpro 24/28 would be ideal and will be fine with the shower ;)

Rads might be ok if they are not filled with debris and have cold spots on them?? Do they heat up all over to the point where you cant really touch them??

Old rads are never as efficient as the new ones with nice converctor fins and panels on the to look nice.

Lastly however, if the pipework is sludged up or undersized for the rads then no amount of new rads will fix that.

Cupboard does not need fireretarding.

Has the shower got a pump?? this would not be suitable for a combi system.

the shower is a power shower with a pump...so I assume now it wont work with the combi boiler?

the rad in the living room is a double radiator but does not heat all over- will a power flush help this?

Sponsored Links
Depends. I've had no trouble removing the shower pump when fitting a combi boiler,showers have worked fine.

TRV on the rad?

there is no trv on rad but have been quoted to have one put on.
do I get them to take pump off from shower then?
thanks for input tony

Although I would very rarely entertain fitting a 24Kw combi of any make, I feel the Keston C36 is a bit OTT in your case.

Apart from that, Keston being owned by Ideal is enough to put most people off :rolleyes:

Dave, thanks for the tip on the keston I think based on your comments and some research on the internet I will give a big no to that quote.

But you also say you would not entertain fitting a 24kw combi...should I be asking for more kws? Is there something wrong with 24kw? Sorry for asking the dumb questions but am a novice and dont want to be taken for a ride by london plumbers.

I don't think 24 Kw is enough for running a bath in mid winter. Others may disagree, especially if you mainly have showers.

For how little extra a 31Kw Vaillant would be I would go for that, thats usually the minimum size I fit.

there is no trv on rad but have been quoted to have one put on.
do I get them to take pump off from shower then?
thanks for input tony

Probably blocked rad/pipework then.

Yes they need to remove the pump then reconnect the pipework for the shower,if every thing is easy to get to then about an hours' labour plus materials at no more than £30.

However if there is a name and model on the mixer valve I would contact the manufacturer for their advice re high pressure plumbing systems. Mira showers are generally ok but you may have to replace the cartridge,same with Aqualisa ,Grohe ,Trevi & etc . As I said above I rarely have trouble only one I did have problems was with a Mira event which has a shower pump built into the shower and can't be used with a combi because it will burst,basically.

Best of luck.

:)

Feedback is that the Keston Qudos C36 is reliable. It is a very well specced boiler with OpenTherm. Use OpenTherm controls and the burner will modulate directly to room temperature. It also comes with weather compensation as standard if I recall, and well worth having the outside sensor fitted.

There are far too many in the Vaillant fan club who don't touch any other boilers, so don't know of them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back