New boiler advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, due to a problem with a blocked radiator pipe I have had 2 gas fitters in for advice and a quote on a new boiler.

My old boiler (15 years) is a Potterton prima 40b heat only with tanks in loft and cylinder in cupboard feeding 2 bathrooms one of which has a powershower in and heating the rest of my 4 bed house (11 rads).

First plumber recommended a combi boiler (baxi platinum) and removing all tanks and removing the shower pump, replacing the blocked radiator pipe in 15mm instead of 10mm and fitting magnaclean to system.

Second plumber reckons I should keep heat only system and is going to quote on a baxi solo 18he, he will also run 15mm to radiator and fit magnaclean, he said he would also fit radiator in conservatory as its not heated at present.

They have both said they will come back after the weekend with prices but I am wanting to know if people favour one approach over the other, there are 4 of us in the house but dont tend to use shower and bath at same time.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
struggling to work out why you are replacing a perfectly good boiler??

Errr how about unblocking the affected pipe and leaving the present boiler in place? If it's still working, hang onto it

Sorry should of said, the boiler seems to use a fair amount of gas and is rated at just over 65% efficient.
Also when the wind blows from the east the pilot light blows out due to the position of the flue, its been serviced and had a new pilot light last year but strong winds still blow it out.
I thought it would be time to replace it for a more efficient model while I have the cash.

Sponsored Links
The pilot light blowing out is more than likely due to the gas seals being in need of replacing.

65% is fine if it isn't actually broken keep the old one until it breaks.

It is more likely using a lot of gas because of not enough insulation in the house. A lack of wall thermostat, tank thermostat and thermostatic radiator valves.

Agree that the problems you have shouldn't necessitate a new boiler just yet.

Get someone in who is as keen to fix it as he is to replace it.

Went to a very long term customer today. 20+ year old boiler I think my uncle fitted when he owned my company. Every year she asked me if she needs a new boiler. Today it was blowing fuses.

Took a little while for me to get my sparky's cap on, but eventually removed a faulty component and away it goes for another year or more.

Have another even older E-type boiler. Every year it gets a scratch and sniff service and safety check. Every year the thing is spot bang blo0dy on. Lovely little old Jamaican lady always happy to see us, always says she will change it when we tell her to. I think we changed the thermocouple sometime in the early 2000's.

I love changing boilers. I also love seeing an old one ticking along nicely.

Spend your money upgrading the house insulation. If you are happy with hot water pressure/flow and the space the tanks take up, then keep the heat only option and upgrade the controls.

You will see a return much quicker, and it can all be moved over to a new heat only steamer when the time truly comes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back