New boiler causing strange noises in the radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've just had an Ideal Vogue 40Kw boiler installed at our home with around 16 radiators/towel rails.

Since installation, it's been causing odd noises in the radiators. I have videos showing the loud cracking, high-pitched squealing and continuous rumble (it sounds like background noise, but it's the radiator), but I can't upload them here - the file size is too big.

I expect some expansion noises but we never had any before. The fitters are coming back tomorrow to look at it, but I could just do with knowing - are these "normal" noises attributable to having a more powerful boiler?

Sponsored Links
What boiler did you have before? Why such a powerful one, is it a combi?

Previous boiler was a Vitodens 100 35kw. It was fitted when we had a warm air heating system. We had radiators fitted 6yrs ago and it was ok to start with but struggled recently and hot water had problems too. It was 13yo. Hence a slightly bigger boiler.

I don’t know about powerflushed… they put a fluid in but I didn’t hear power flushing…would I have?

Sponsored Links
It may be the pump is too vigerous causing the whistling - particularly in TRVs. Don't know if you have settings on the pump like you have on pumps external to the boiler ?

Thanks! That matches with what they’ve suggested. They’ve said they’re going to turn down the pump speed today. Will monitor it ver the weekend.

So they came on Friday and fixed a problem with one radiator not working and turned down the pump but the noises remain. I’m linking a couple of videos below and would really appreciate your assessment as to the cause and cure of both. To recap, we have Tado on most of our radiators and a new Ideal Vogue 40kw boiler.

Cracking noise, happens on one radiator only and not on the first heat up (from cold) but does on every subsequent heat up.

Wooshing noise happens on some radiators

Thanks in advance

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back