new boiler commission

Just because people do it all the time doesn't make it right. I'll not sign a boiler off unless I've made the fixings myself, hung it, fitted the flue and connected the gas.

Sponsored Links
Builders do it all the time for electrical and gas work.
They do all the work themselves and then have the qualified person do the last little bit and sign off. Lot of plumbers/engineers working for a company doing stuff they haven't got the qualifications for but the main guy has so it gets signed of.

Did my training for a company 4 guys working doing oil installs. Non of them qualified but main guy has the oftec.

Just because there are cowboy builders and plumbers does not mean you have to be one!

As fas as gas was concerned he said they had no in house gas expertise and relied on hiring in gas qualified contractors to inspect and report on those aspects of building control. He said they usually charge about £300 plus VAT for inspections of gas installations which had not been notified and where there could be cause for concern. Much seemed to be at the discretion if the BC officer concerned.

I think the price is likely to change depending on the local council. I recently looked into this for a friend who had a new boiler fitted (by a RGI a few years ago) but the RGI didn't notify GasSafe/BC (..and there is a limit of 12 months from installation to notify apparently).

Looking on his local council website revealed a price list for BC work, it cost £252.25 (inc VAT) for him to get it notifed (which he is claiming back from the RGI's company that installed it!)

I did it once for a retired gas engineer

Although not currently registered he is competent but he wanted to stay within the rules so I ran gas pipe fitted flue and commissioned. As mention strictly speaking I should have fitted the bracket but was confident in his abilities ( he's fitted more boilers than I have)

Like you what he really needed was the warranty and BC certificate

Fact is most people would charge £200-300 + vat to commission. You could probably get someone to do the install for not much more from what I've been hearing

There are alot of people offering straight swaps for around £1000 not a good boiler or good work but comes with all the paperwork a house buyer wants to see

Sponsored Links
I was once asked to commission ONLY and I did just that for £84. I think he wanted that for the warrantee.

Tony

Builders do it all the time for electrical and gas work.
They do all the work themselves and then have the qualified person do the last little bit and sign off. Lot of plumbers/engineers working for a company doing stuff they haven't got the qualifications for but the main guy has so it gets signed of.

Did my training for a company 4 guys working doing oil installs. Non of them qualified but main guy has the oftec.

Just because there are cowboy builders and plumbers does not mean you have to be one!

But thing are hard for people today, the cowboys have always been there, it's just that there may be a few more about, who can blame someone needing money, trying to make it how they can?

Or would you rather see them on the dole, so certain people on here can slag them off?.

Do i not keep the shopkeeper employed or the people that pay out to me?

I would not pay a heating engineer to screw me like a lot of people do, you only endorse them (ideal) as it get's you work. ;)

Tony, my days i did car engines no training stripped an engine down and learned how everything worked.

You lot don't even torque bolts down.

I think if you were being strict you would torque Vaillant premix cc bolts!

thanks folks! really helpfull.

If we were living in the house for a whle i'd go ahead and install and not worry too much (although yes, for warranty purposes would want a proper commission with tests from a gas safe so manufacturer doesn't have an excuse to not fix a fault..)

but we're selling the house so need 1. a guarantee for someone and 2. building control paperwork in case of a fussy lawyer

so yea, may well get whole install, will check prices for that and building control prices too

thanks for help though folks i now understand how to legally install myself... (and might ion our new place which is likely to need work..)

thanks for a decent answer to this one!!

I fear for your families safety more than you do!

without knowing who the guy is and what standards he will work to, you cant really say it will be dangerous, its only gas, its no hard :evil:

Just because people do it all the time doesn't make it right. I'll not sign a boiler off unless I've made the fixings myself, hung it, fitted the flue and connected the gas.

i agree with you, i have the opinion that i fit it better than anyone else, so therefore if they fit it, there might be something wrong with it, so i would never sign it off for someone i dont know, everyone makes there own standards and sticks to them, in saying that there will be loads of people who can read all relevant info and fit a boiler properly, its just that i wont take the chance on my registration,
there is a TB about this, saying gas engineers if called to commission/check an installation to ensure as far as possible that it wasnt illegally installed, as we can get stung by someone conning us to check an illegal install, however if we KNOW it is fitted illegally then we arent allowed to commission it to legitimise it, although i'm sure there are plenty of idiots who use their registration to make easy cash, its a gamble that they are willing to take, more fool them, in my opinion they are worse than the unregistered doing the job in the first place

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back