new boiler commission

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

I'm thinking about replacing my boiler myself. Before I start I know this has been discussed many times and don't want to start another unnecessary thread on diy installs. I count myself competent (to avoid starting another thread I'm not going to list why) and will be happy for the courts to decide on it. (But they won't need to because it will be installed correctly.) I've read thorugh the building regs etc and know exactly what to do to ensure it meets all the regs & manufacturers requirements etc etc) So with that said.....

My question is, I need a Gas Safe engineer to commission it. I don't have the equipment to run the tests obviously and get the building control paperwork (required when we sell the house soon.) So I'm looking for someone to come out, connect the gas pipe which will be sat right there ready to be connected to the boiler, and then commission it & register it with Gas Safe for the paperwork.

I know some engineers aren't keen on it (totally understand & respect this).

Question is are any of you willing to do it? (I'm in Glasgow) and if so what do you ask? ie: If I keep the case off to check install all looks ok, physically confirm the screws / fixings used for hanging are adequate, flue is properly fitted etc?? What would you want to check? (If it's relevant it's a regular condensing (probably glowworm likely use direct rear flue option) replacing a regular wall hung in kitchen..)

I did find a local company but they were wanting to charge almost as much as putting it in. (Which I also understand!) What sort of charge is reasonable for those of you willing to commission one?

Is there anyone in Glasgow area willing to give me a quote and do it?

Many thanks folks..

---
For others reading this, I think diy installs are a bad idea and things like wickes diy install leaflet are irresponsible and suggest anyone who can hang a shelf can hang a boiler. I like the no advice to diyers on gas policy, well done diynot. I won't be asking for advice on the install :)

Sponsored Links
I know some engineers aren't keen on it (totally understand & respect this).

It's not about keen or not. The schemes all gas installers report new appliance installs to, permits them only to SELF certify their own work, it's not a licence to inspect and approve the work of others.

So what you want is for someone to break the rules to save you a few quid.
Away with yer.

ok thanks.

so does that mean if someone was willing to do it they'd be breaking the rules of the registration scheme so can't really do it?

So for info, the only option for diy install (following the rules) is to

1. Get a Gas Safe to commission & test (for sake of running the checks and to satisfy warranty for boiler) but not to register with the scheme then
2. Pay building control to come out & inspect it meets building regs

?
(and by the time you add the cost of both I'm as well paying for the whole install from a well priced installer.)

I presume it needs checked by building control legally or is it just that it needs to meet the regs??

thanks.

PS - no not asking anyone to break the rules. I don't know the rules of the scheme etc that's why I'm on here asking about this..!!

Sponsored Links
You say you are competent to install your own boiler.

There is nothing to stop you doing the install yourself
and making the notification to building control.

There is no requirement to notify through Gassafe (or
any other organisation)

Building control will inspect the installation and provide you
with the required paperwork. No need to get anyone else
involved.

Building control will inspect the installation and provide you
with the required paperwork. No need to get anyone else
involved.

BC will possibly charge you say, £150 + VAT to send someone round (like an RGI for instance) to ensure that it is 'kosher'....

A lot of manufacturers now require the Banchmark cert to include FGA readings, do you have access to one?, (I have to pay a LOT OF MONEY to a) buy one, b) have it serviced/calibrated annually c) get a certificate of competence to use it). Without the required information, any warranty claim will be void. Beware.

DH

The world is full of vested interests. 'Gas work' is most definitely one.

I am prepared to assist DIY would be installers.

BUT I do it in accordance with the regulations and that means that I have to:-

Fit mounting bracket

Fit flue

Fit gas supply ( and that includes all pipework )

Commission boiler

Complete Benchmark and notify BC.

Usually I would quote about £200 for that.

But its very rare that anyone takes me up because they want to save money and not to pay to have it done properly.

So the reality is that they are either not commissioned or notified to BC or a cowboy is used who will notify and put some figures on th Benchmark.

They are such cowboys that some take the money and fill in the forms using stolen gas safe numbers!

Tony

Your options are get a cheap boiler installed by a gas engineer.
Or install a cheap boiler yourself and say nothing (illegal) yes
but it happens all the time.

I offer the service you are after in my area. But I am in Humberside.
I don't have any objection to going around connecting the gas
boiler up and checking it's installed correctly and no gas leaks etc.

thanks folks! really helpfull.

If we were living in the house for a whle i'd go ahead and install and not worry too much (although yes, for warranty purposes would want a proper commission with tests from a gas safe so manufacturer doesn't have an excuse to not fix a fault..)

but we're selling the house so need 1. a guarantee for someone and 2. building control paperwork in case of a fussy lawyer

so yea, may well get whole install, will check prices for that and building control prices too

thanks for help though folks i now understand how to legally install myself... (and might ion our new place which is likely to need work..)

thanks for a decent answer to this one!!

thanks folks! really helpfull.

If we were living in the house for a whle i'd go ahead and install and not worry too much (although yes, for warranty purposes would want a proper commission with tests from a gas safe so manufacturer doesn't have an excuse to not fix a fault..)

but we're selling the house so need 1. a guarantee for someone and 2. building control paperwork in case of a fussy lawyer

so yea, may well get whole install, will check prices for that and building control prices too

thanks for help though folks i now understand how to legally install myself... (and might ion our new place which is likely to need work..)

thanks for a decent answer to this one!!

I fear for your families safety more than you do!

I was invited to a meeting for electricians and gas engineers with Ealing Building Control to discuss the implication of Part P and Gas Regulations.

It was led by an area team BC Manager who had a particular personal interest in electrics as he had qualified personally to enable him to ( legally ) rewire his own house. It also enables him to assess installations in Ealing and he acts as their council representative in discussions with other councils over enforcement matters.

It was mostly about electrical installations as they caused the most deaths and were the most likely to be done by DIYers and unqualified handymen.

As fas as gas was concerned he said they had no in house gas expertise and relied on hiring in gas qualified contractors to inspect and report on those aspects of building control. He said they usually charge about £300 plus VAT for inspections of gas installations which had not been notified and where there could be cause for concern. Much seemed to be at the discretion if the BC officer concerned.

Tony

I stand corrected on the likely charges to be levied by BC for a new install (arguably if it was part of a notified project to include other work -drainage/building/roofing etc it may be included in the initial charging structure?)

The value of £150 was given by a Vaillant Trainer while doing my Dom Energy Efficiency cert, years back. His argument was, as it is the responsibility of the property owner to get things notified, an RGI could reasonably charge, say, £25 to notify (through CORGI as it was then) and still make some extra..

DH

FWIW, I include the GSR fee and time to complete the Benchmark/warranty forms in my prices.

That is cause u are a worm. Likes of you destroying this fine old trade god ****e :rolleyes:

That is cause u are a worm. Likes of you destroying this fine old trade god s***te :rolleyes:

Builders do it all the time for electrical and gas work.
They do all the work themselves and then have the qualified person do the last little bit and sign off. Lot of plumbers/engineers working for a company doing stuff they haven't got the qualifications for but the main guy has so it gets signed of. Did my training for a company 4 guys working doing oil installs. Non of them qualified but main guy has the oftec.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back