New boiler installation problem

Duh

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Please be gentle with me, as I'm a middle aged woman who knows nothing about plumbing, as will be divulged...

We've had a new oil boiler (Grant Utility 15/26) installed. The pump has been replaced (Grundfos 15/50). The hot water cylinder has been replaced, and is now 'pumped'. A Honeywell programmer, and a new room thermostat have been installed. A new immersion heater has been installed, details unknown. We already have what I believe is called a header tank in the loft, which feeds water to the central heating system.

We've had a few problems with the installation (including needing a new oil pump), but it's the latest problem which I need to understand:

Why do all 5 of the upstairs radiators heat up when we have the programmer set to 'Heat water only'? We only have it on for 2 bursts of 15 minutes per day, so it doesn't take long for the hot water to fill the radiators.

I'm told it's 'reverse flow', but I can't get my head round this.

Please help, and tell me what's gone wrong, and how it needs to be fixed. Many thanks to any of you who have ideas, and let me know them.

Sponsored Links
if it is reverse circulation it piped up wrong.
should be on the return pipework radiators, cylinder, boiler
not cylinder, radiators, boiler

if it is reverse circulation it piped up wrong.
should be on the return pipework radiators, cylinder, boiler
not cylinder, radiators, boiler

It doesn't matter what order they're in provided, all the heating returns are connected together before they join the common return, and you only connect into the common return once, or;

Each zone is separately controlled with an MV

Sponsored Links
And thanks Doitall. :)

There's a good reason I chose my user name! I have zero understanding - so if all posts could spell it out, like they would to a child :cry: I'd be really grateful.

What type of motorized valve have you got, is it 2 x 2port or an 3port.

Can you post a pic of the cylinder and the connecting fittings and any valves

Sorry if the pics give you a crick in the neck! I was so keen to set this up, that I forgot that I could change the orientation of the pics. Hopefully, they'll tell you all you need to know about the cylinder - though about your other question...?

What pics??

Having any motorised valve/s will not prevent reverse circulation if it has been piped up incorrectly.

In your case I would expect the radiator returns to go back to the airing cupboard (assuming that is where the HW cylinder is) then connect to the return from the HW cylinder, so there is just one common return back to the boiler.

It could be that the upstairs radiators have had the returns piped into the main return back to the boiler individually, rather than all 'commoned' together at the airing cupboard.

Strange you had a new oil pump so soon, but I once supplied a grant boiler to a customer in France and Grant recommended that I supply a spare oil pump at the same time :eek:

Clearly, my posting of the pics didn't work. Stay with me, I'm losing brain cells at a rate of knots...

These pics can be accessed in my Album (Duh) on this site, and the folder is called: Cylinder and is open to all. Please see if you can access them. I'll try to post them again - but I'm new to this, so please forgive my mistakes.

Re the Grant oil pump...

Grant has found that the pumps supplied from their manufacturer in China have faults. I feel confident that all reading this, haven't had the surprise of their lives. They're not sure whether it's the materials, or the design, but have changed everything internally to overcome the problem. Apparently, not only Grant use these oil pumps.

not suprised about oil pump very common im afraid with the riello pump so not installers fault and grant will replace free (if boiler installed correct with filter).
Is your installer oftec registered and notified work to building control if so you will have been sent a cert to let you know through post.
reason i asked as on the oftec course you are questioned on these basic errors of reverse flow

Have you spoke to the installer? what will he do to rectify this...

I garentee all my work for a year parts/labour and would have come back and sorted the problem FREE..

regards jay

You're one of the good ones Gasandoil man. My guy is completely p*ssed and has taken himself off on holiday. The installation began on 19th May, and I was told 2 days work. He has said he'll fix his error, but I've lost all faith in him now, so want to know what's wrong, so I can be sure he's doing the right thing.

The Oftec part of things is OK, and all paperwork is fine - though many thanks for pointing this out.

I've taken pics of the pump and all the pipes going and coming to and from it. These pics were taken in a very small space (smallest part of 'under the stairs'), so I couldn't take them head on, but from an angle. Sorry if this makes them more difficult to make out. The hole in the wall to the left of the pics is where pipes access the boiler. Pipes then go upstairs to a half-landing where the cylinder (airing cupboard) is located.

The pics can be accessed in my album - Duh - with the file being called 'pump and pipes'.

Thanks for all your help guys.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back