Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My neighbour keeps telling me how his new boiler has saved him loooads of money

He says his bills are down looooads

How true is this?
Are new boilers much more efficient?

Sponsored Links
Far too many variables involved with his statement. What did the neighbour have previously? what do they have now? saved him money on his water usage or gas/electric bills? did he change energy tariff at any point etc....

While new boilers might be more "energy efficient" that doesn't mean they are better/worse than what someone already has (again too many variables). And what someone classes as efficient or suitable for their lifestyle might not be suitable for someone else.

he had a boiler that dated back to the dinosaurs. ;)
he's retired and lives in a 3 bed house with just his wife.
old house. not well insulated i would imagine.
he replaced his old boiler and tank with a combi.

Since my new boiler I am spending about the same... but...

With my old boiler I would rarely have the heating on meaning I was cold and the misses would always moan at me to put it on.

The new boiler is on daily house always warm for the time we need and the cost is the same. So in a sense you could say it is cheaper as if I had the previous boiler on as much as this I would have been spending a lot more.

Also my gas price has increased since having the new boiler.

Sponsored Links
when I changed my old iron boiler to a modern condenser (both of them conventional, with cylinder) the gas usage dropped from about 1500 cu.m p.a. to about 1100 p.a.

Most of this is winter heating. The Summer usage has halved from about 1.7 cu.m per day to about 0.6 which is a trivial cost.

A useful saving, but not really enough to pay for the cost of change. The old one had a rusted flue and was said to be beyond repair.

I already had TRVs, CWI etc.

The difference in bills is disguised because prices go up and down, so you've got to compare meter readings. For example my gas bill for Dec 2016 charged 2.105p per kWh (ex VAT) but in 2014 it was 3.401p. So even if I'd used the same, I would have had more than a third cost saving. Perhaps your neighbour does not realise.

How true is this?
Are new boilers much more efficient?
New boilers are more efficient than old ones.
As for saving loads - the boiler might save enough over it's lifetime to just about cover the cost of the boiler.
On older systems, big savings can often be made just by replacing the controls (thermostats etc.) and educating the user as to the proper operation of the system.

Installing insulation is far cheaper and has a much greater effect.

Yes. I am currently paying under 25p per cu.m for gas

So my reduction of 400 cu.m p.a. is worth less than £100

The boiler will not live long enough to cover its cost.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back