New boiler ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It finally looks like the end is near for my 25yr. old Radiation Fuelsaver 15RS.
The pilot light is begining to become unreliable and I think I've traced the problem to the "overheat thermostat".

Can anyone recommend a "condenser" boiler make as a suitable replacement.

Having seen and heard horror stories of the unreliability of "combi's" Id rather stick to a New Radiation 15RS but as they are not produced anymore any recommendations for boiler that can go for another 30 yrs. without a spanner being put on it much appreciated.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
ATAG, Vaillant or Broag for a sealed system boiler.

Broag for open vented.

Whatever you do, do not even consider an Ideal boiler in any form :mad:

ATAG, Vaillant or Broag for a sealed system boiler.

Broag for open vented.

Whatever you do, do not even consider an Ideal boiler in any form :mad:

Thankyou for the reply, will start investigating prices and installers based on your advice.

Much appreciated thankyou.

lets hope for another 20 years of trouble free boiler probs.

Cheers

Peter

Thankyou for the reply, will start investigating prices and installers based on your advice.

Much appreciated thankyou.

lets hope for another 20 years of trouble free boiler probs.

Cheers

Peter

In that case go for the ATAG ;)

Sponsored Links
Search the forum on the subject, the question is asked 3 times a day; enough info to base a thesis on.

Or leave it 6 months and ask again when g4y is getting a better deal on some other manufacturer, ;) :LOL:

I get the same deal as any Select Dealer from ATAG, I only promote them for their quality.

It's only Vaillants that I get deals on, but these deals are not that great anymore, especially with the price hike next week.

If it was a matter of only recommending and fitting boilers that have good deals attached I would be fitting Ideals, Baxi's or WB, as all thse seem to be near enough free with cornflakes these days if you push the reps had enough :rolleyes:

Dave .Did you not used to recommend WB did you not used to fit the idealicos/isars and Baxi`s , so what makes you so sure you have got it right this time.??

Dave .Did you not used to recommend WB did you not used to fit the idealicos/isars and Baxi`s , so what makes you so sure you have got it right this time.??

Yes I have fitted approx 100 Ideal Isar/Icos. It is my biggest embarrassment to date :oops: So far on at least a 35% failure rate, more if you count the same boiler failing time and time again.

This was due to a mis-guided belief that appeared a good product and being naive on my part.

I never have had any problems with the Solo 3's that I used to fit, but I did fit 3 of the awful 130HE's that had nothing but problems from day 1.

I cannot remember ever recommending WB though. I've only ever fitted one of these piles of poo, due to a customer insisting that was what he wanted, but this was about 6 years ago. Never again :mad:

None of the above were fitted because of any 'special deals' either, just my own stupid fault :eek: :LOL:

Vaillants I've fitted well over 100 now, had 3 pumps go and a couple of F75's.

Broags, I've only just recently started fitting, but locally have heard no bad stories.

ATAG, the build quality and servicing schedule speaks for itself, and I like them, just hope they are as good as they look. Been proven in europe as well and it is the same boiler that is sold over there, not a cut down cheap UK version ;)

Dave not having a go at you but 100 isars /icos the alarm bells should have been ringing well before you had even done a third of them.

One thing working for BG for so many years taught me was the amount of sh@te people fitted because the manufacturer told them they where the bees knees.
You are in the minority because you go back to them but we used to get some right sh@te on contract because no one would ever go back to them.

5 plus years ago Keston where being held up as the latest superdooper but now no one will touch them.

It is a mine field out there when new boilers come out but ignore them and stick with what you know works and more importantly you know is a simple cheap fix for your customers when they go wrong . because they all do

Dave not having a go at you but 100 isars /icos the alarm bells should have been ringing well before you had even done a third of them.

Also not being disrespectful but anyone with knowledge of boiler repairs or any care for the needs of a repairer wouldn't have touched them with a barge poll from the word go.

It is true that Ideal have begun to address the needs of us repair guys at last so i don't come on here slagging them off all the time like others do, but the early era of that range anyone with experience of hands inside boilers would run a mile from. History proved us right.

The whole fiasco clearly stemmed from the demands of a zelous marketing department who must have stated "All i want is for it to be the best boiler for kitchen fitters" They had spotted all the diy programs turning houses into places of worship with the aisle made of laminated floor and the alter of kitchen units which to achieve nervada MUST completely encompas vulgar white goods.

I agree with both of you, but it took about 18 months before the boilers started to go wrong and then only what I would describe as 'normal that any manufacturer might have'.

By this time most had been fitted and was only at about 2 years on that the real horror of the situation became clear :mad: :oops:

Do you think some customers lost their trust in you after there boilers started to break down?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back