New Build - Garage Electrical Changes

Hang on, he's an electrician and he has to check with his 'technical man'?:confused:

My thoughts precisely.

Winston1 I don't really want to change the way it's wired up as this would mean more remedial work than I want to do and my OH would not be happy about that. Also as its a brand new property I shouldn't need to - plus it should comply with all regulations.

As long as I can safely branch off the current sockets and lights then that's fine. I just hope it HAS been done correctly and I'm not breaking the law adding sockets and lights to this circuit

It has been done in compliance but you want to add considerably more loading.
Do as you like, though your reasoning is flawed. One 13A feed for 6 sockets, 3 lights, and a hot tub is stupid. Would your OH be happy if the hot tub went cold while she was in it when you operated your electric drill?

What has being a brand new property got to do with whether you need to alter wiring when you are adding substantial loads?

You are misunderstanding.

In a reply above I said I am going to have the hot tub separately powered and wired off the mains. Not on the garage electrics at all. This will be at a later date.

So using the current set up for general work like charging batteries and a few led lights and charging my phone and a radio - plus a small freezer - is not going to be more than 13A. Therefore I'm satisfied.

Thanks again for your replies. Has been very helpful

Sponsored Links
Distribution Network Operator. The people who own the infrastructure that supplies the electricity to your house. They are supposed to be informed about large fixed loads. Plenty of posts on this forum about that.

Sponsored Links
Ok thanks for the info none of the hot tub supplier websites mention it

Part P regs confuse me a little
Part P is very straightforward:

screenshot_134.jpg

So using the current set up for general work like charging batteries and a few led lights and charging my phone and a radio - plus a small freezer - is not going to be more than 13A.
I'm surprised that the garage on a new-build house has room for a car and a freezer, even a small one. Must also be a small car... :D

Anyway - how cold does the garage get, or look likely to get? Freezers don't work well in cold conditions.

[/QUOTE]
Anyway - how cold does the garage get, or look likely to get? Freezers don't work well in cold conditions.[/QUOTE]

I think we should say some don't. I knew of someone who used to leave his central heating when he went away for the freezer. Talk about environmental madness!

So using the current set up for general work like charging batteries and a few led lights and charging my phone and a radio - plus a small freezer - is not going to be more than 13A.
I'm surprised that the garage on a new-build house has room for a car and a freezer, even a small one. Must also be a small car... :D

Anyway - how cold does the garage get, or look likely to get? Freezers don't work well in cold conditions.

It's not on all the time, only if/when we need extra frozen storage. Like Christmas. And it's not that cold in there at the moment.

Surprisingly it's quite a big garage! And yes it's a small car - a project to be turned into a track toy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back