New Build Snagging

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I have purchased a shared ownership new build and moved one week ago.

The shared ownership Housing Association has told me the builders are coming in this week and I should have a list of snagging items ready for them. Can't say I have ever done this, but have been around the house and found the following issues. Do these all seem ok, or are some of them not worth the bother?

Several hinges have screws protruding where they have not been screwed in fully and many have pozi sheared off:
Photo_09-07-2018_07_49_57_-_Copy.jpg

Photo_09-07-2018_07_50_10_-_Copy.jpg

Lots of yellow marks on almost all skirting boards, I am assuming from some sort of adhesive which was applied to it to protect carpet when painting? Doesn't seem to be scrubbing off.
Photo_09-07-2018_07_50_18_-_Copy.jpg

Damage to some of the double glazing window panels
Photo_09-07-2018_07_51_55_-_Copy.jpg

Only one bedroom door has a door stopper, both bathroom and other bedroom door do not.

Quite a few issues in bathroom with sealant not being applied, blue colouring in silicone sealant that doesn't wash off, and ends to tiles that don't look quite right

Photo_09-07-2018_07_54_24_-_Copy.jpg

Photo_09-07-2018_07_54_35_-_Copy.jpg

Photo_09-07-2018_07_54_40_-_Copy.jpg

Photo_09-07-2018_07_54_47_-_Copy.jpg

Chips and marks on some doors which does not wash off
Photo_09-07-2018_07_56_09_-_Copy.jpg

Ceiling craks and screw pops on both bedroom ceilings
Photo_09-07-2018_07_56_20_-_Copy.jpg

Photo_09-07-2018_07_56_29_-_Copy.jpg

Access panels not secured to wall
Photo_09-07-2018_08_00_06_-_Copy.jpg

Rubber seal compromised on glazed door
Photo_09-07-2018_08_11_44_-_Copy.jpg

Door step grazed and scratched to hell and weatherproofing rubber strip damaged

Photo_09-07-2018_08_18_04_-_Copy.jpg

Carpet in lounge is not secured where lounge finishes and wooden step below french doors start resulting in carpet curling back slightly and underlay being visible
Photo_09-07-2018_08_12_04_-_Copy.jpg

There are a few others which don't need pics such as window handles not working, so windows can't be opened, media panel in lounge hanging off of wall, paint splatters all over kitchen appliances, and a shower which often gives out cold water even though taps are fine, so thermostat related issue.

Any help on this would be great.

Sponsored Links
I think you have the right idea. I'd would suggest you invest in a good tradesman preferably with plumbing and or electrical side as these are two of the main problems that may arise.

Why you could there are plenty of good tradesmen on here who could help as some should be in your area.

I had a friend of a friend who was a pro snagger help me with mine. Best couple of hundred quid I spent. He knew all the tricks of the trades and what they couldn't weasel their way out of.

Trust the experts - so get one yourself if you can. Echo Bodd advice above.

Sponsored Links
talksr, good evening.

What you have so far is simply put, not acceptable, all issues highlighted above really do need remedial action. Just keep on looking, if possible Images and record in your own words what you see, do not worry about the technical language, the images will tell the story, as they have done graphically above

As an aside, why do the Housing Association not step up to the mark and assist you in your endevours??? after all they have a shall I call it a vested [£££] interest in the property as well as you?

Do you have any friends or acquaintances, who possibly have tradesmen who can assist you.

Must admit, I for one would love to be set loose in your new property, with a camera and a note pad!!!

Ken

talksr, good evening.[again]

I have just recalled I did an Insurance claim, an unusual one where the Policy holder had paid for a new kitchen by Credit Card.

It was a well known brand of Kitchens, the material and kit was OK but??? the installers all 4 / 5 of them were seriously crap !

What I was asked to do was to catalog the defective workmanship.

I found that taking digital images, then re-naming them with location and defect was a fast and effective way of digitising and logging the numerous defects.

Possible way ahead?

As an aside, the policy holder won a full refund of the cost of the kitchen from the Credit Card company several thousands of £££

Ken

Unfortunately, your images show what passes for 'workmanship' on new builds these days, and believe me, some are a lot worse. The house bashers who are responsible would have been the lowest skilled and exploited by whoever contracted them. Not all their fault, pay peanuts........................ I'm surprised those doors even close with the screws sticking out like that.

Definitely list the faults, and insist that the builders correct them.

From experience I've found Ha are very stringent on snagging.

Last edited by a moderator:
Must say [having worked for numerous H/Assns.] they are very focused on high quality attainment

As Bodd, above and as my O/Post get them on board, ask for an urgent meeting with the H/Assns Maintenance Manager and have a walk around the property, hopefully he will give you some other shall I call them "pointers" as to defects?

Ken

Welcome to the vast majority of modern workmanship a lack of attention to detail and conscientiousness.

It's sad but true contractors are screwed down on price, they in turn screw down the tradesmen regarding price work.

Some of the stuff I've seen you wouldn't believe, to do a job properly requires time and attention to detail.

I learnt just last week from an energy assessor that a local council will get a price for a local estate of 1950's houses say 500 houses, they will, order the windows for the whole estate in one go.....Houses in the 1950's weren't built to close tolerances, so half the time they don't fit...there's massive gaps.......and they no longer employ clarks of works to check on the workmanship .........lunacy and madness. Instead of measuring up each house .....how hard is it ?

Any job I do I work to the best standard I can, it's normally right and it's very very rare I get call backs .......but I am old school and I don't advertise. Recommendations and existing customers are enough.

No wonder a car warranty will soon be longer than that of a new-build house, given the state of "craftsmanship" shown there.

I have seen a few new builds from Persimmon, Cala, Miller but Harron Homes takes some beating.

I found builds from 80s and 90s from local builders were of higher quality than the big builders who just throw stuff together.

My stepsons FIL has recently bought a New Build BOVIS house. During the construction my stepson posted a few pictures and within minutes I was on the phone to him.
A double socket in the hall was cabled from above and the cable ran from floor level up into the loft. Ok you might think, except the cable ran at an angle of about 60 degrees up the wall which supported two flights of stairs, when it reached the floor level at the top of the second flight of stairs it dog-legged at about 45 degrees to the back wall before running vertically up in the corner to disappear into the loft. Where it went to from there he had no idea. Strange thing was, the consumer unit was on an adjacent wall to the socket on the ground floor!
Bovis were quickly instructed to call in a new electrical contractor who ripped out the previous works and started from scratch. He found a lot of other problems with the house over the next few weeks and eventually called in a professional snagging company, who photographed and documented every little thing, and issued a timeline for the work to be completed to their satisfaction. They managed it with just under 48 hours to the deadline but agreed to pay the professionals fees because the house handover was 6 weeks late.

Thanks everyone for your posts on this.
The builders never showed up last Tuesday as promised. Didn't really matter as I spent the time I should have been seeing them finding even more faults.
I contacted the housing association last week to explain that no one has been out, and still, they have not responded. I can see I am going to have fun here. I will press on, but if I still don't get any answers. I will look into using a professional snagging company like some of you have suggested. Thanks again, and will update you with what other issues I find.

talksr, good evening.

Suggest you have a look for the H/Assn. CEOs e mail and complain to him telling him you are about to go to the local and national press? never mind get a Snagging Company in, suggest you tell the H/Assn. by e mail that you are going down that road?

I find it hard to believe that your H/A who are generally very much behind the wishes of the tenants / part owners???

Is there any chance of stirring up some social media, twitt, faceblock, Et All and seeing what bubbles up, especially within your local area?

Kick up a stir and see what happens, use good old fashioned phone calls, e mails with pictures sent to the H/Assn about defects, and keep on sending them .

Ken

Sponsored Links
Back