New build - splits on brick face

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Recently purchased a new build and across the house there are many slits in the brick face, not too happy about it as one of the reasons to buy these type of houses can be down to the kerb appeal, but to then look deeper find slits, I'm not sure if it's serious or not?

Attachments

• 20230803_183657.jpg
    20230803_183657.jpg
    328.2 KB · Views: 187
Sponsored Links
Brittle brick types often have cracks in the face. The temptation is to put them to one side rather than lay them in the wall but once you start doing that you can end up with a huge pile of cracked bricks. Why worry about them now? They were there when you bought the house.

Thanks for the feedback.

Correct I believe the cracks were there when we bought the house just over a month ago, but looking at it a little bit more, we never spotted these prior. Is it worth to ignore them or get them replaced?

Sponsored Links
Depends how many? half a dozen might be worth replacing if you've got access to the bricks and mortar. Patched in mortar needs to match colour and texture closely, else it will show up like a sore thumb.

PS. you might also consider ones in high visibility areas and maybe not bother with those up out the way?

Depends how many? half a dozen might be worth replacing if you've got access to the bricks and mortar. Patched in mortar needs to match colour and texture closely, else it will show up like a sore thumb.

PS. you might also consider ones in high visibility areas and maybe not bother with those up out the way?
Not quite half a dozen. I would easily say between 70-100 bricks with a slit or multiple slots in across a 4 bed + double garage..

Best not to worry, any attempt at fixing it will be very likely to end up looking worse.

You could very carefully fill them with a colour-matched filler, could be a good opportunity while they're still clean.

Any good brickie would have chucked them aside. They should have been chopped and used as half-bricks. But good brickies don't work for housebuilders, they're not fast or crap enough.

Hmm, okay.

I did think that the bricks would of been like that at the time of fitting, and heard alot about brickie and good trades that they'll literally use anything that they find. Just a shame really. Nothing can ever be perfect.

It’s incredibly common. Particularly tend to see it on the nice older reclaim style/handmade ones. I don’t think the split penetrates through much of the brick and is more shrinkage when the bricks made (probably)

Typically these cracks were done in the kiln when fired. They would tend to be on the one side only, and the brick still held together on the back, however they are a defect and should not be used.

But, in context, they do little harm, and those bricks look like engineering grade, so will be strong and not affected by frost getting into them.

It will look a lot worse if you got them replaced.

IIRC, there is a NHBC standatd for this (along with other BS/EN standards as well as the manufacturers guides) however I doubt its covered by the warranty unless significant in number. Mention it and get it recorded, but prepared to be palmed off by the agent.

Thank you.

So options really are I suppose is to leave them and fingers crossed they don't get worse through house settlement / winters and summers through natural shrinkage or to get them replaced but know it'll look worse. Is that because of new mortar joints in place that won't entirely match?

I had checked NHBC but they seem to classify it as chips or cracks. Given that the above are cracks, I dont believe they qualify to fit a pound coin between them of some sort to justify.

Appreciate the responses.

Not only the colour, which can vary depending on the mix used, sand used, how wet the bricks were then and now, the weather, but if the pointing method/style isn’t exactly the same it will show too. Easier said than done

I got some of this stuff for various drilled holes in our old house...

It's pretty much invisible. If you tell them the make and model of your bricks they should be able to supply one that's very close in colour. It's made from powdered actual brick in a clear glue so hopefully won't fade or discolour differently.

But it does have some grittiness so you could struggle to fill a fine crack. If so you may need to widen them with a drill or small grinder before filling. Either way, put masking tape either side of the crack before filling, to prevent smearing onto the face. Also clean out the cracks with an air or water spray first, to rinse out dust.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back