New C/H System - Replace Copper?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We will be inviting local plumbers to quote for a complete re-work of our C/H system in a house we have just bought. There is currently a back boiler based system in place and radiators in every room. We'd most likely be moving the radiators around a bit to get them away from windows etc. This got me thinking, would it be best to replace all the existing copper pipe? I know some routes will remain the same, but I've read about scale build up in old pipes and the damage they can do to a new boiler. I understand a power flush can minimize this as well but I can't help wondering if ripping out all the old copper and replacing it with plastic may be a worhtwhile option? The current CH system is probably 30 - 40 yrs old.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
It's all UPVC and we'll use lined curtains. I've never really understood radiators under windows, particularly in the days of draughty windows when all the heat would rise up and straight out....

Anyway, we digress..... Can anybody help with the original query?

There is a very good reason for putting rads under windows.

The heat loss at a window creates cold downdraughts and the rad counteracts that.

Only if the room has insulated cavity walls is it considered safe to move rads away from windows.

I appreciate that thick curtains do provide more insulation but think of the winter day when the curtains are open and you are gazing at the snow outside on the moors!

Tony

So long as the current pipework is correctly sized you should be alright. Just make sure it's cleaned out properly. It'll cost an awful lot more to replace all the pipework too!

The house were I live has had the same pipes and radiators for almost 60 years. In that time the system has had a coal back-boiler, a heat only, and 2 combis.

To my knowledge, the system has never been power flushed. The pipes and rads still work perfectly.

As long as your system is sound, and works, you should consider a power flush and just have any alterations to rad positions that you need. You will then have a much better system than plastic, that will also last longer.

Many existing systems are very clean. Age is not relevant. Its how its been installed and treated.

Tony

Ah Tony boy has went moaning to the moderator, got bits removed he didn't like...what a sap.

Moderator 7 why don't you remove most of agiles posts as these are offensive to true timeserved tradesmen, as they are full of rubbish.

Then again not being a professional yourself, then you can't tell the diferrence and you certainly don't want to offend your top poster.

This site is a complete joke.

Ah Tony boy has went moaning to the moderator, got bits removed he didn't like...what a sap.

Moderator 7 why don't you remove most of agiles posts as these are offensive to true timeserved tradesmen, as they are full of rubbish.

Then again not being a professional yourself, then you can't tell the diferrence and you certainly don't want to offend your top poster.

This site is a complete joke.

Did Alsheating slip through the net again?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back