New cartridge and washer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've a mixer tap that is dripping from the hot water side.

I've removed the cartridge and there is a rubber washer at the bottom. It seems to be 3/4 inch with a hole in the middle. When measured, its 17mm diameter to be precise and its not coming off. I've already damaged it slightly while trying to take it off. It seems to be half-embedded into a metal casing.

Can someone please advise if I can get a 17mm washer or if a replacement cartridge is available.

Many thanks in advance..

tapwasher3.jpg
[/URL]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/img]

28062010257.jpg
[/URL]

Sponsored Links
Should be able to find a washer for that without a problem. Take it along to a local independant plumber's merchant, they'll be able to sort you a washer of the correct size. Most have a box full of assorted washers tucked away somewhere, they're usually happy to sell one or two, and may even fit it while you wait! :LOL:

Can't tell from your badly out of focus picture, but is that a hexagonal nut holding the washer in place?

If so, have you tried to remove that first?

Hi Charnwood,

Yes its a hexagonal nut but I never thought it would come out or hold the washer as it did not seem that way looking at it. I will need a vice to hold this if I am to try and remove this nut.

I am attaching another pic for your reference.

imag0105xk.jpg
[/URL]

Sponsored Links
Hi, Do you mean seat of washer in the cartridge or the metal seat of the main tap body?

Sometimes these brass ends unscrew, sometimes they don't......either way a new washer should pass over the end (helped by some wash up liquid) and then you can test the tap.
Before you reassemble, see if you can see the 'land' inside the tap body where the washer locates to.....if its badly scored then it could be reseated, if its cracked then its new tap time.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back