New central heating system, need ideas

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys,

I am thinking of replacing my current conventional boiler for a newer more efficient boiler, but after speaking to an engineer today I have been put off the idea. So I was wondering if you guys could come up with something he couldn't.

Currently I have a Potterton Flamingo 50, located downstairs in the kitchen, NOT on an outside facing wall and a cylinder upstairs in an airing cupboard. The pipework for the boiler runs underneath a concrete floor and it's a 15mm pipe all the way to the kitchen.

I was thinking of putting a new combi boiler into the airing cupboard upstairs and removing the cylinder which the engineer said would be the easiest solution. All they would need to do is run a new gas pipe up the side and across the front of my house, then run a new waste pipe down and across the front of my house.

Now I don't have the best looking house in the world, but I went for a wander around where I live and saw a few other people who have had that done and it looks bad!

Option 2 is jigging around the kitchen so the boiler is on an outside wall, but then the gas pipe still needs to be run across the front of the house. And this will mean digging up my front garden to sink the pipe or running it across the wall again. Neither choice is to appealing.

Just wondering if you can think of any options I can't think of at the moment?

Thanks,
David

Sponsored Links
If it ain't broke don't fix it.
This boiler will probably go on years and years.
You could upgrade the tank to an unvented cylinder (if you have
the flow and pressure). That would give you mains pressure hot water.

It ain't broke, but it ain't working well. And while I am happy to live with it, we will be renting out our house in the near future and central heating is the sorta thing you want working well when renting a house.

And after spending a lot of time last night staring at my kitchen I think from an ease point of view that changing from a conventional boiler to a new conventional boiler is the easiest solution, as it only means running an extra couple of meters of pipe across the kitchen behind the cupboards and doing a little remodelling. And it means we can fix a lot of the smaller issues that are currently causing us problems.

Not ideal, but it will work and means we won't have pipes criss crossing the front of our house.

It ain't broke, but it ain't working well. And while I am happy to live with it, we will be renting out our house in the near future and central heating is the sorta thing you want working well when renting a house.

And after spending a lot of time last night staring at my kitchen I think from an ease point of view that changing from a conventional boiler to a new conventional boiler is the easiest solution, as it only means running an extra couple of meters of pipe across the kitchen behind the cupboards and doing a little remodelling. And it means we can fix a lot of the smaller issues that are currently causing us problems.

Not ideal, but it will work and means we won't have pipes criss crossing the front of our house.

if you don't have solid floors you can pull a length of flexible track pipe right under the house and into place in the kitchen.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back