New CH pipework query.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

Looking for some help with the following - hoping to replace my mum's old Ideal Mexico boiler - I intend to contact a chap I know who is Gas Safe registered to do the gas/flue but would value some advice on the pipe work.

Over the years I have dealt with a number of issues leaks/air locks in the house (the original system was poorly installed) and really would like to replace the pipework at the same time as the boiler - having been under the floor today I thought the best solution would be to have a 22mm run into manifolds, then feed each individual radiator with 10mm plastic - this would make the pipework much easier given the limited access. I have done a lot of pipework over the years but never this setup, so just wondered if there are any downsides? All the radiators are within 4-5 metres of where I would locate the manifold, and none of the radiators are very big (two bed terraced house).

Finally, I am thinking about a Valliant Ecotec 28 - and would welcome any feedback? When I built my own house I went for a Biasi as I ran out of money at the end and it has been fine after 4 years - I remember at the time they weren't too highly thought off - are boilers at the lower end of the market much of a muchness??

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Many boiler manufacturers make several models and its often the case that one or two turn out to be very good and others turn out to be bad.

Biasi were lucky with a 1997 model the 24S which turned out to be particularly reliable. Then came the M90 with several problems. Next came the M96 whish is one of the most reliable earlier condensing boilers. Then came the M110 premix boilers and again very reliable. Last came the Activa range which I cannot really say I have much knowledge of as we rarely see them mentioned here and I have a feeling the sales volume has significantly declined so with two variables difficult to assess.

We currently like the Intergas, Viessmann and Vaillant in that order. The Glowworm is a bit cheaper than the Vaillant and pretty similar inside.

What kind of Ecotec are you thinking of?

Tony

Thanks Tony. I was looking at a Vaillant ecoTEC 28 but am open to suggestions!

Go for the 831 over the pro28, far superior to the intergash or viesmann offerings.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back