new colours

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can Someone clarify the following:
Have just had a kitchen built this year and the ring has been installed in the old colours of red/black 2.5mm. the new lighting ring is installed in the new harmonised colours brown/blue1.5mm. From my understanding of the regs one or the other should be used but not both. Will this be able to be signed of with a note on the installation cert describing the departure from BS7671 or will one of the circuits require sleeving to bring it inline with the other.

Sponsored Links
dazw said:
Can Someone clarify the following:
Have just had a kitchen built this year and the ring has been installed in the old colours of red/black 2.5mm. the new lighting ring is installed in the new harmonised colours brown/blue1.5mm. From my understanding of the regs one or the other should be used but not both. Will this be able to be signed of with a note on the installation cert describing the departure from BS7576 or will one of the circuits require sleeving to bring it inline with the other.

1: both can be used. but it must have a warning sticker at CU sayin 2 colours are used

2: whats BS7576?

ban-all-sheds said:
andy said:

Method for continuous sampling of liquefied natural gas (LNG) in transfer pipelines.

You know nothing, you. ;)

hmm.... bein an electrician, i dont really need to know much about sampling of LNG in transfer pipelines...

Sponsored Links
andy said:
ban-all-sheds said:
andy said:

Method for continuous sampling of liquefied natural gas (LNG) in transfer pipelines.

You know nothing, you. ;)

hmm.... bein an electrician, i dont really need to know much about sampling of LNG in transfer pipelines...

Well, the job is in a kitchen. Perhaps the gas cooker is connected directly to the North Sea. ;)

CAUTION
This installation has wiring colours to two versions of BS7671. Great care should be taken before undertaking extension, alteration or repair that all conductors are correctly identified

QEDelec, at last someone who aint takin the **** out of the querent mate. Agreed with Andy(QED) different colours can be used provided there is a warning notice. However chaps, this does lead me on to a different question of my own. Well, not that different. Not a hijack or anything.
In this instance, lighting circuit harmonised, ring old colours, or vice versa, all is fine. Stick a label on Cu and bobs your grannies son!
However, a minor works, like a couple of new sockets on existing ring? Or a new lighting point? If you interupt a circuit to add new points, how would you guys sleeve at the JBs/ switches/ sockets etc? Brown/Blue sleeving on old cable, Red/Black sleeving on new cable, or leave both as they are and trust the sticker illuminates future dabblers?
Hope this question makes sense, TIA,
TS.

Also guys, unless my eyes are wrong, dazw said BS7671, and not 7576, or whatever you all quoted. Sorry, only a minor point I know. Well, not overly sorry, it aint me that cant read ... :D

TraineeSpark said:
Also guys, unless my eyes are wrong, dazw said BS7671, and not 7576, or whatever you all quoted. Sorry, only a minor point I know. Well, not overly sorry, it aint me that cant read ... :D

Last edited by dazw on Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total

:cool: :!: :D :cool: :LOL:

TS
No need to identify either conductrs at JB's etc
Phase is Brown/Red, Neutral is Blue/Black should not cause any confusion.

Well not really BAS, my browser, or whatever it is called says the geezer wrote BS7671. But everyone else quoted him as saying BS 5657 or whatever.
And even if he did originally use a wrong BS number, before editing post, are we all so far up our own Ars*H*les, that its even worth being interested in?
P.S Dont mean this as an Ars*y Thing (TM), or Sh*tty Comment (TM)

QED, cheers again 4 your helpful comments mate, will annoy you further on this one when you at work morrow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back