New conservatory on existing raised base

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, just wanted to ask some advice as I have had my old timberframe conservatory removed and a brand new dwarf wall and conservatory built on the existing base (This was all checked out by a surveyor and bricklayer beforehand).

Whoever laid the base before built it raised above existing ground level and previously wooden decked around it, however i was concerned about the base being exposed to the elements and looking unsightly as well as frost damage. The brickie recommended building some sort of slabs up around it and placing shingle at the sides, but i understand also there are paints to seal and so on. Also thought about laying railway sleepers and some polythene around the outside of the base but i'm just not sure on the best method of doing it. There would be far too much shingle or stones needed to build the whole ground level up and that may also require sloping back down towards the gate somehow.

Does anyone have any ideas or tips on this? Base is a little damp to touch as there was a leaking watermain until recently and with recent downpour is still drying out a little.

Thanks everyone :)

Attachments

• 20160624_215401_resized.jpg
    20160624_215401_resized.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 229
  • 20160624_215420_resized.jpg
    20160624_215420_resized.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 197
  • 20160624_215427_resized.jpg
    20160624_215427_resized.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 216
  • 20160624_215439_resized.jpg
    20160624_215439_resized.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 220
Sponsored Links
It looks as though its below the DPC, so the finish must be water proof. The obvious way would be to render it from say 3" below soil level to the base of the bricks, with a small angle on top. Its beyond my skill level (I think). Another thought is to clad the area with a plastic board, not white !!. just screwed and plugged into the side of the foundation. Another technique that I have used as garden bed edging, is to concrete in paving stones on edge. Again they must be dark or they will catch your eye. Or if you are ambitous, shutter the area up and cast in a covering (on a slight angle), using sharp sand and cement and black dye. Again I have done some thing like this, problems are to keep the shuttering face flat and smooth and stop it bowing. Bubble adhering to the front surface can be a problem. Make sure that you do a whole surface in one hit else the join will show. Gauge the mix carefully else the colour may change (more reason to do a whole surface).
Frank

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back