New consumer unit? Hope it's not Wylex, Crabtree or Volex

Testing the MCB in isolation would be the sensible option here. By which I mean leave it connected to the busbar but remove the circuit wire. Connect tester between the MCB and neutral.

Dont they test MCBs at the factory? :eek:

Sponsored Links
Of course all variations of RCDs are tested also, but the RCD test in installation is more to do with testing its response with return path to earth in that particular set of circumstances.

It's not just the three brands affected either - Electrium make MCBs for several wholesaler 'own brand' CUs
Steeple for a start: http://www.denmans.co.uk/mcb_recall.html[/QUOTE]

Then why didn't they state that in their other recall notice??!!

There's another mcb with the same characteristics as the Steeple ones. Anyone remember which 'brand' it is? So they may have the same problem?

EDIT; GE perhaps?

Sponsored Links
The other brands could be Newlec or Sector, as they (and Denmans/Steeple) are all owned by Rexel.

The Screwfix notice doesn't say anything about Crabtree - yet Screwfix sell Crabtree MCBs and consumer units with MCBs in them.

Really?
Their re-call programme is useless.

So where they are re-calling consumer units, is this just because of the MCBs that they are pre-loaded with?

Their helpline is hopeless.

I bet there's some red-faced people at Electrium.

Does anyone have one of the affected MCBs?

I'd quite like to get hold of one and carry out some tests on it :evil:

I raised the question of MCB testing a while back I don't recall on which forum as a result I got a reply about current injection kit it's about the size of a small garden shed
M

Nonsense!

I've got an MCB tester.

I've just tested a B32 MCB (at 120A :LOL: )

The faulty brands are (for those that dont know);
Crabtree
Wylex
Volex
Steeple
Sector
Newlec
Alto

If you contact electrium, they give you the option to let them replace the MCBs or you can. They told me that they will pay £ 75.00 per job. It only refers to MCBs not consumer units

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links